Catalytic converter theft protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m so shocked at theft I assume in USA . Here in uk it just doesn’t happen , I’m sure odd one maybe but cirtainly it’s not common, I’ve never heard of one going and I live in a city of 3million
Not like in the old days still get boy racers stealing golf gti but not catalytic converters , I spoke to my friend in police and he laughed and said not heard of any
There sure are a lot of articles that sing a different tune...

Anybody interested, I have a partial set of Slee Steel skids for sale (Intermediate and Belly). PM me. They certainly help protect the cats from theft.

Edit: skids sold

Last edited:
Well, considered yourself lucky!! Both of my 97 and 99 cats got stolen and saw off outside my shop a week ago!

Alright great way to justify slee skids thanks for the recommendation, I'm always scared of reading this i even park my car backed up into driveway with security cam with motion detection pointed at it. I've heard people even targer large SUV to drain the gas...

well i installed hosers skids. the belly plate alone might not totally protect the cats. the intermediate plate can be installed without the front skid if you drill some extra holes in the skid. it spans up to the diff cross member.
20200511_153127-02.jpeg

then today i saw this at my local dealership
20200516_123710-01.jpeg

Hmmmm....do you think it would fit 100?
that was for a prius. but they might make one for the 100. but honestly if the only goal was cat protection, it might be possible to just buy some flat sheet metal and trim it to span across the frame rails.

An article in today's NY Times had me searching for threads on this--prices for the metals in cats have risen hundreds of percent this year and theft is way up . . . I think I just figured out how to make full Dissent skids an economic no-brainer. . . .

Yeah, friend locally had their cats stolen off their 100 while they were hiking up a nearby canyon couple weeks ago. Parking lot with other cars, broad daylight. Rangers said it's been on the rise big time, muffler shop said he was like the 12th Toyota that week.

Anyone have any suggestions for an 80 series (95-97) with the in line cats?

There ought to be a way to load the undercarriage with a couple hundred thousand volts...

Just got off the phone with Slee. The intermediate skid plate will mostly cover the catalytic converters, but not completely. The guy said they might be able to cut them, but will probably not be able to get them out to steal them. Also, the intermediate plate requires BOTH the front and belly skid plates from Slee. This would take your price up to $1156 for all 3 skid plates just to get the intermediate one. Dang. Wish SOMEONE would make a skid plate to mount over the cats.

I've posted about this before - my neighbor had an exhaust leak and went to a local shop to have it fixed. They ended up replacing a lot of the system as it was just old at 300k and getting rusted out. The exhaust shop guy cut and bent a couple pieces of 3/8" or 1/2" rebar and tacked them onto the new flanges so the rebar runs parallel with the cat. It was an old 4runner and she parks it outside all the time - I thought this was really nice of them.

If you want to cut the cat pipe you have to fiddle with cutting the rebar, and it definitely messes with getting a blade in there. It's not a clean look but it would be a nuisance and makes a whole lot more noise than just cutting the pipe.

I liked the idea enough that I grabbed some rebar and am going to tack it in where my skids don't protect the cat. The rebar needed cost under $10.

A decent sawzall/reciprocating saw will cut through rebar like butter. It is not anything like hardened steel. Rebar will not protect anything from getting cut off... it might slightly delay the cut. If not a sawzall, then a cutoff tool. Lock steel is much higher quality than rebar... Or a battery bolt cutter: Ryobi 18v Cordless Bolt Cutter Review (P592) #boltcutter #ryobitools #newtools - https://youtu.be/0Tbr2jVfl7U

I know this would delay - and might even motivate a thief to just move on to a different victim... I'm not saying it is a bad idea. Just wishing for a skid plate for this - double duty - security against thieves and protection against rocks.

Just got off the phone with Slee. The intermediate skid plate will mostly cover the catalytic converters, but not completely. The guy said they might be able to cut them, but will probably not be able to get them out to steal them. Also, the intermediate plate requires BOTH the front and belly skid plates from Slee. This would take your price up to $1156 for all 3 skid plates just to get the intermediate one. Dang. Wish SOMEONE would make a skid plate to mount over the cats.
FWIW I run the slee intermediate and skid plate without the front skid. It lines up with the cross member under the oil pan. I had to drill 1 extra hole in the skid iirc and was able to bolt it directly to that cross member.

A decent sawzall/reciprocating saw will cut through rebar like butter. It is not anything like hardened steel. Rebar will not protect anything from getting cut off... it might slightly delay the cut. If not a sawzall, then a cutoff tool. Lock steel is much higher quality than rebar... Or a battery bolt cutter: Ryobi 18v Cordless Bolt Cutter Review (P592) #boltcutter #ryobitools #newtools - https://youtu.be/0Tbr2jVfl7U

I know this would delay - and might even motivate a thief to just move on to a different victim... I'm not saying it is a bad idea. Just wishing for a skid plate for this - double duty - security against thieves and protection against rocks.

I see that video and also get that rebar isn't hardened steel. I extended my driveway last year and we used 3/8" rebar - we used Diablo bimetal blades and with plenty of space to work and new blades you can get through it without major issues, but it isn't butter and it will be a serious nuisance to someone trying to remove an exhaust. The cutoff tool doesn't work as it doesn't have enough depth.

That being said it, takes about half the time to cut through an entire exhaust pipe with a short blade on than it does to get through one piece of rebar. It's about making it more difficult to do, drawing more attention, and increasing their time that they have to work which increases the likelihood they get caught (or at least more of those things than the next vehicle). Like many others I have a motion camera that watches over my driveway and so it would also increase their likelihood that someone confronts them or has time to call the cops.

I contest that going through 4 pieces of rebar that are spaced 2-3" apart surrounding a pipe that can move...while on your back and with things in the way, is vastly different than cutting through one that's clamped to a work space. When you cut through a piece of the rebar they have a habit of pinching blades and rattling like hell. You can bend it out of the way but still have 3 more cuts to make and I probably need to use a longer blade. I get done on that side and find out you put rebar on the other side too - it's a nuisance.

My opinion (again its just my opinion) is there is always a way to steal something. In our area the reports are that most cats are cut off in under 2 minutes from start to finish. If it means they have to spend 3-5 on mine to get it out they might skip it or it might save the next car when they have to screw around with mine.

I have skids too and I think the rebar should be additive to having skids if you really want good protection. With the rebar on there it's going to be a big PITA to get them out because you simply can't get a good angle with the saw for access to make the necessary cuts. Although I'm sure you can and may make the case they could bring a socket set along and defeat the skids as well.

Last edited:
Agreed. It really is more about delaying or discouraging... making them look for an easier target. I hear what you are saying and agree that Rebar is an option... definitely better than nothing. Still wishing for a skid plate to do double duty. Though you are right about a socket set. I think the best solution would be a skid plate with 10mm bolt heads! :rofl:

I have a set of Dissent Off Road Skids. They work as intended pulling double duty as skid and cat guard. Yes, you can bring a socket set with you. But man, keeping these things safe is a real BEAR! Also, I have personally removed these to install some new axles and its not as simple as 4 bolts and go to town.

I have a 2010 prius also with the Cap City Cat Cover on there. It too is like a BEAR and making sure no one is messing with them things! Damn precious metals!

1620861798349.png

Civil Offroad -- do your Dissent skids make it difficult to change your oil? I just had my cats stolen on my 04' LX470 and was looking at Slee but their belly skid is currently out of stock. Figured I might go for the full Dissent skid package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom