Catalytic converter theft protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My catalytic converter was stolen from my 2002 LC 100 this week. I worked a 12 hour shift and during that time it was cut out with a saw.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to protect this from happening again? Would any skid plates work?

My catalytic converter was stolen from my 2002 LC 100 this week. I worked a 12 hour shift and during that time it was cut out with a saw.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to protect this from happening again? Would any skid plates work?
This is getting out of hand in PHX...

Other than building a cage or skid not much can be done. Its a cheap and quick theft. They get 50-100$ at salvage/scrap yards for them. Back in Colorado years ago they were cutting them off the new cars on the dealer lots. Seen people post up here in other forums where everyone on their street were hit.

Just make sure you still get good airflow or it'll cause excessive heat build up and the cat and sensors will fail prematurely.

GL,

J

i like the skid plate idea, anyone makes one? or have to custom build?

I’m so shocked at theft I assume in USA . Here in uk it just doesn’t happen , I’m sure odd one maybe but cirtainly it’s not common, I’ve never heard of one going and I live in a city of 3million

An advantage to AHC or air bags?

1588660512678.png

or something like this:

How about welding in flanges for a flanged test pipe and just installing a flanged cat for emissions/inspection? Solves the issue if you can still sleep at night with the added emissions.

Sure would suck to get shot over $50 worth of metal.
A mechanic once told me that the platinum content on older toyota cats is much higher compared to other cats, and they can get upwards of $700 for one. I used to think they only got 50-100 for one, but apparently not all cats are the same. BTW, I've had a cat stolen off a 3rd gen 4runner back in the day, I feel your pain, sorry for your loss.

A full set of Slee skids might be cheaper than a new pair of cats. It’d be very hard to get them out with mid and belly skid in place.

A mechanic once told me that the platinum content on older toyota cats is much higher compared to other cats, and they can get upwards of $700 for one. I used to think they only got 50-100 for one, but apparently not all cats are the same. BTW, I've had a cat stolen off a 3rd gen 4runner back in the day, I feel your pain, sorry for your loss.
be right back, gonna steal my own cats and convert them to the rooftop tent fund

I’m so shocked at theft I assume in USA . Here in uk it just doesn’t happen , I’m sure odd one maybe but cirtainly it’s not common, I’ve never heard of one going and I live in a city of 3million
you have no auto theft in UK? bs

Reactions: jLB
In all seriousness, I think the Slee full skid system would cover them up right?

But that's a lot of money - I believe they connect to each other so you couldn't just run one over the cats.

Yes the Slee Skid System is $227 in the link you attached (Thanks). But, if the cat was stolen once and could/will be again, seems like decent protection.

Yes the Slee Skid System is $227 in the link you attached (Thanks). But, if the cat was stolen once and could/will be again, seems like decent protection.
Yeah just make sure to check with Slee - you might also need to run the front skid as well so that will double the cost.

I posted the Slee skid suggestion more tongue in cheek- makes a good excuse to justify the expense 😎

I looked under my truck (I have all 3 slee skids) and the back end of the cat is covered by the belly skid- so no practical way to remove the cat with out first removing the belly skid. And the gap between frame rail and intermediate skid is too narrow to pull 1/2 a cat through.

1588709925057.jpeg

I posted the Slee skid suggestion more tongue in cheek- makes a good excuse to justify the expense 😎

I looked under my truck (I have all 3 slee skids) and the back end of the cat is covered by the belly skid- so no practical way to remove the cat with out first removing the belly skid. And the gap between frame rail and intermediate skid is too narrow to pull 1/2 a cat through.

View attachment 2296534
Sounds like a great use of money to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom