catalytic converter replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I had the cats rattling for about a month, the truck in question is a 1993 fzj80. finally took it to a shop today and just about had a hart attack when the guy told me the prices. He saied that new from the dealer the cats were $1,600 and that he could get me rebuilt for $650 plus tax installation another $100 so out the door plus tax it would be $800 then he preceded to tell me that I need a new muffler also. He saied he can do a flowmaster for another $150. Are these prices right ? I know a few members have had their catalytic converter replaced is this how much you guys paid ? I have a feeling this guy is trying to play me.

hi

you can go to reputable muffler shop and they can put on generic cats for probably $175 installed.thats what my local muffler shop told me.:beer:

Navid, if you decided to get oem cats let me know i have an account with Palo Alto Toyota, nice rig btw. oh, we met today at whipple, hopefully we can get a cruiser/lx meet in RWC.

kirk

Thanks Kirk, it was wonderful to meet you today. Your rig is also very nice, thanks for the offer. Call me and lets get together after Thanksgiving. I have a friend that works at Toyota 101 so I am going to see if she can hook me up. According to her the OEM cats for the 93-97 don't cost that much, she thinks the guy was talking about the 90-92 fj80's with the 3F which have a different type of exhaust/cat setup. Those cost a lot to change out.

tevogel, yes the guy did seem kind of shady I felt like he was trying to sell me things that I don't need. He just tapped the cats and saied they were bad. Then all of a sudden I need a new muffler! I don't know. My truck just got smoged and registered in CA about two months ago without any problems. At the time my cats were not rattling. I don't think I can use generic cats in CA only OEM I am not sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom