1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catahoulas Anyone???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by CruiserMax, Aug 17, 2006.

1. CruiserMax

CruiserMax

Anyone here have a Catahoula? AKA: Catahoula Leopard Dog. Catahoulas are the state dog of Louisiana. They are a revered breed in the South and are farm dogs bred to hunt wild boar (not FJ55's).

I have one named Mojo. He has been an amazing dog but is beginning to show his age. The breed is not part of the AKC but are on the registrar of rare American breeds. Catahoula breeders are adamant about NOT joining the AKC.

Anyways, just wondering if there are any other owners of these fine animals out there in Cruiser Land.

More info:
    http://www.catahoulas.org/
    http://www.catahoulaleopard.com/

Here are some pics of Mojo...

Cheers,

Max

2. CruiserMax

CruiserMax

Couple more...
    The last pic is Mojo playing with our Rhodesian Ridgeback, Shala. Looking at Mojo you can see why I always felt safe with my wife walking in parks, at night etc if she had Mojo with her. Mojo would give his life for Sherri if the "chips were down" as they say...

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

We rescued Cleo about 2 or 3 years ago. She's great with kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-B-

4. CruiserMax

CruiserMax

Good for you! Catahoulas are not for everyone. She looks awesome!

Max

5. CruiserMax

CruiserMax

OK, one more of Mojo when we first got him. We had no idea what we were getting into. I used to have a head of dark hair. I swear most of my gray is from keeping up with him over the years...

6. CJF

CJF

No Catahoulas, but Cleo looks so much like our Australian Shepard/Lab mix that I'll bet nine out of ten people I showed that last picture of her to would think it was him.

We often get asked if he is one...

Curtis

7. tcb

tcb

Media:
    Albums:
    When I got my dog that I have now, I was told that she was catahoula... she was only about 4 or 5 weeks old, so it was believeable... about 6 months later, it became evident that she was a blue heeler and not a leopard dog. I've done a good bit of learning up on the dogs and if I ever get around to buying land in North MS where one could work, I'll be getting one.

8. Polak

Polak

I've got a Cat/Lab mix, mother was Cat and father was Cat/Lab mix. I've never had a better dog.

He turned 10 this year and still acts like a pup (sometimes).

Camera shy too:

9. Officer Friendly

Officer Friendly

I got two and a 1/2 hoolas I love them crazy buggers. My male is a blue lepard and one of my females was taken at a drug raid and was pumped full of meth and in a trash bag when I found her. now she is full of power and crazyness. I never have another type of dog again;p

10. CJF

CJF

Almost forgot:

When our dog's actin' crazy we call him a catahoulahoop. :D

11. Officer Friendly

Officer Friendly

houla pictures

Our male, Blue Sky Country Boomer with female Dunnie, and Dunie with their litter of pups. We kept the little blue female at the "12 o'clock" spot.The last one is Boom out in the yard. Ours come from a line known for cattle dogs.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">