Cat thieves strike again ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Didn’t realize catalytic converters where a target. Who buys them anyway and why? I guess I can google.

The scrap precious metals inside. With the shortage of so many things during COVID, they have gone up dramatically in price. Junkyards buy them.

Does the forum now support insurance fraud?

This is NOT 'insurance fraud'. IF the insurance company agrees to pay (all or something) for the damage, they don't want the parts back. Why would you not remove them yourself and sell them? No attempt has been made to misrepresent the event or the damage done. Insurance will or will not pay out on it....but if they do...then they are good with it.

The scrap precious metals inside. With the shortage of so many things during COVID, they have gone up dramatically in price. Junkyards buy them.
In Nigeria (I think) they are grinding the pellets to dust to snort it. It's a new 'drug' craze there for some reason.
Really surprised that didn't start here first.

edit:

In Nigeria (I think) they are grinding the pellets to dust to snort it. It's a new 'drug' craze there for some reason.
Really surprised that didn't start here first.

edit:

Now that's wild. Even the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia would shake their heads at that one. Only a matter of time 'til it shows up here.

Not insurance fraud. I miss that one there. It might violate some state or local rules, or EPA, but if you cut them out yourself and weld in straight pipe and blow smog, not insurance fraud. You can sell that catalytic converter off too.

Once you go and claim it as stolen, with a police report, it needs to be a real theft.

You can pull out your own engine and replace it with bricks if you want to, as long as your title is on the vehicle.

LsF4zSN.jpg

Mesa muffler did mine, took out the 2 cats and went back to 1 on my 97 lx.
Mesa drive and Guadalupe.

I replaced my rear convertor on my 95 last year because it was bad and I was getting the P0420 code I think. Anyway, I bought a new one from my local Toyota dealership and was surprised that Toyota didnt have a core charge on it! So I brought my old one to the recycler and got 120 bucks for it. That plus the 20 percent discount from the dealer was a huge help! I have a set of white knuckle sliders so hopefully that will deter any would be thieves.

May check you home owners (if you own, I suppose). My vehicles are covered under it as well while sitting at home.

Been thinking of one of these for out taco..

Or renters insurance. Our car was broken into, albeit it was at a hotel we were staying at for an extended period of time. Long story short the renters insurance will give you a pro-rated amount of said item depending how old it is. If you went this route you’d be lucky if you get scrap metal pricing but…

Well I definitely can just have a muffler shop weld them back on.
But if insurance will cover them I'd rather get shiny new cats rather than my 24 year old Geriatric 😾😾 Kittens ! 😹 I think I only have a $250 deductible.. 😎
Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom