1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cat removal

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cruiserka, Nov 29, 2003.

1. cruiserka

cruiserka

I was thinkin of punchin out the cats on my 3fe but was wonderin if it will affect the computer or anything? no need for smogin my 62.

2. yooper

yooper Lost user SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The oxygen sensors are in the pipes ahead of the cats, so punching them out will have no effect on the ECU. If your cats are old and clogged up, like they tend to be, you'll get a small power boost. I chose to replace my cats with a single free-flowing one from CatCo - no reason to pollute just for the hell of it, and a cat is one of the few things that actually makes your exhaust cleaner. Just MHO.

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Took mine off when I redid the exhaust on my 62, no effect on the computer, didn't seem to make much power/fuel economy difference either.

4. erfworm

erfworm

yo, yooper did you remove the outboard cat and place the new single inside the frame rails? If so how did you deal with the O2 sensor on the outboard. Got any pics? :D

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

somehow my cats in my 92 fj80 were gutted(not by me of course) but no ill effects at all.