cat protector removal (metaltech install-real time) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was able to drill out the rusty bolts of the stock cat protector surrounds and dropped the lower half off---but wondered if theres an easy way other than dropping the whole exhaust system to remove the upper piece???

(installing metaltech sliders and wondering what others may have done?)

I was going to remove the cover and had gone as far as breaking off all the rusted bolts when I realized that the upper part could not be removed. Drilled new holes and bolted the cover back together and left it. I removed the shield that goes between the cats and the body. I had to place some washers between the upper part of the slider mount and the frame to tip the slider down enough to clear the cats. No vibration now. This is on a 94.

David Sword

yeah- i have my lower off and am now contemplating how to get the upper off easiest. My initial thought was that if a sawzall could fit between and halve the plate---that possibly it could be pulled out without loosening the enitire exhuast system(which is all rusted in place and probably going to be much more of a hassle)

arrrrrrrgh! unfortunately i dont have a sawzall and spending the dough to buy one seems a little dumb since i probably wont be needing one down the road much.

What worked for me: Lineman's pliers and a lot of back and forth action until they snapped off. It took a while.

Don't you need the upper shield to keep heat off the floor boards?

Note if you remove the cover and or cats.
Use SS bolts and nuts. Makes removing them at a later time way easy.

No i dont think i need the upper cat plate---but at this point--extraction is a PITA. My idea is to bend open the middle areas til they contact the cat/exhuast flanges--and then have those tack welded directly to the flange so that they dont rattle against the cats. My only problem is that i dont have a welder and im searching for someone local who might tack em on so i can throw on the slider.

The only heat shield that you have to take off is the outside one that sticks down below the rockers. The upper heat shield can be left in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom