Cat heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep

GOLD Star
Threads
How hot is too hot? My carpet got a bit wet and after 20 minutes of driving I had some steambath action going on in the truck. :eek: Quite a visible amount of steam rising from the floor.

been there, seen that... my rubber floor plugs under the carpets are also melted and distorted. I assume that's life...

What year do you have? I believe there should be a metal shield above the cats.

94... there is a metal shield. I hate the thing.... little rocks tend to get stuck in it and rattle around driving me crazy.

On a positive note I finally settled on the ARB bar after talking with Christo about ARB vs. the Slee bumper. Its installed and I'm loving it...and it looks fantasic with the ARB+black flares+Slee rear bumper. Of course we don't care about such things... so long as its functional. ;)

You might want to watch those cats. If I'm not mistaken you do not have an OBDII system. Hot cats are usually the first sign of becoming plugged. In an OBDII system there is an O2 sensor fore and aft of the cats to see this condition. In yours it is blind to that.

Rick

BTW the second sign is usually either burnt valves or fail head gasket.

Keep & semlin,

I've heard that others have installed a heat shield type material under the right side carpet. Some of that foil + insulation material. Maybe check availability at race shops. At least it helps keep the heat out of the cabin.

-B-

I'll definitely check to make sure its not getting plugged... and I'll think I may look into the heat shield material too. Thanks.

Keep, If you don't mined me asking why did you settle with the ARB not Slee's? Dosn't Slee have better aproach angle?

It was actually a very a tough decision.  I would have gone with the Slee bumper, but the wildlife factor played a big part. Lots of deer around here.  I also wanted the option of running big lights like Hella 4000s.  The ARB provides better protection and has enough room for bigger lights, but at the expense of approach angle, and iof course the unique factor... Everyone has an ARB, that makes Christo's a bit cooler. I'm happy with my choice though... and I'm relieved to have finally decided on one.  :G

Is there a way to tell if it is pluged or getting there?
The 94 doesn't have the rear o2 sensor.
What problems would there be if I just cleaned out the cats with a long big punch? Is there a need for back presure from the cats for the motor to run right? What damage would there be to the motor?
kurt

I second landtoy's question. How do I figure out if the cat is blocked. My upper heat shield is installed.

So just so I'm clear, am I in the minority in having a hot passenger side floor pan, esepcially after a long drive?

Simon,
You might be in the minority but you definitely are not alone. Many have reported heat on the PS floor from the cats, especially on the 91-92 models. I believe later models came with more insulation and maybe better heat shields. Later models also have dual inline cats.
-B-

Back in the day you could buy a test pipe to swap in place of the cat to see if there was a performance difference. How's your gas mileage?

Rodding your cats from what I've read only affects your emission output. Not first hand info but there was something on the SORry board.

Rick

How's my gas mileage? Brutal but not hugely out of line with others. Converted into usg it's about 9.5 mpg in winter on a five3 mile stop and start daily commute, and up to 14.5 on a straight highway run.

In Australia the 1FZ doesn't have cats nor EGR. I can't see why I couldn't remove them as I don't have a rear o2 sensor. The hard part will be making test tubes. Could put a bar through the cats but it will be very$$$ to replace them. Maybe a after market cat could be used and relocate it down stream. Like a place where it wont get crushed. What could go wrong not having the cats?
kurt

I suppose you could do that..........if breaking the law doesn't trouble you..........................................................

Looks like there is a back presure tool to install into the o2 sensor hole to check back presure. Less than 3 lbs is what the site said is not plugged.
kurt

>> if breaking the law doesn't trouble you... <<

And a Federal law at that; not some local ordinance.

-B-

The worst they can do is make you put a new one on. I can say that the last owner did it. Oooppps I hope big brother isn't reading this.
I am not kurt if big brother is out there.

Kurt,

"Under federal law, the maximum fine for removing a catalytic converter from a vehicle is $2,750 per vehicle. The person who was responsible for taking the catalyst off would also be required to put an appropriate catalyst back on."

They can easily find out who the PO was. Lying to a federal officer might bring additional penalties. I doubt that any "EPA police" would ever find out or that they would enforce the maximum fine. However, it *is* the law of the land.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom