Cat Back Exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm the new owner of a 2002 LX. I'm considering a cat back exhaust, for better sound and maybe even a little better performance/fuel economy. Before I start shopping, I would love to be able to hear someone else's modified exhaust. Anyone in Orange County, CA that has done this and would let me hear your exhaust? Thanks in advance.

Not a JAOS fan, but their exhausts might be ok.

I've got a Borla, and it's not very loud, but it's better than stock.

I could always call you on my cell next time I'm out in the truck. :D

I believe the Borla cat back is discontinued. Hurry up and buy one if you want it, they were clearing them out on ebay recently.

In my experience, you might as well go custom and get what you want. I personally don't like the fart-can look on trucks but to each their own. If all you want is sound and maybe a slight gain in hp I would just get a different muffler welded into the stock piping and get a different tip put on for a clean/better look. It worked like a charm with my 4Runner. Now, as far as muffler choice you basicly choose the sound by brand and how loud it is by what model/size. IMHO you can't beat the echo-y sound of a flowmaster on a V8 but thats just me. If you go to a shop and tell them what, I'm sure they could take care of you. Plus, you can't beat the price. The muffler for my 4Runner was $50 from summit racing, install/cheap tip they had layign around was $65. Yeah, it might not have helped power that much but us Truck/SUV owners want torque not hp anyway. Good luck in your search! One place to start would be yotatech's exhaust site. While most are V-6s, you could atleast hear how some of the different brands/models sound. If you have a way to slow down/drop the pitch of the sounds then it will be quite close to what they would sound like on a V8.

Good luck!

The YT Exhaust page...
http://www.pnw4runners.com/exhaust/exhaust.htm

Isn't a Borla or Jaos "custom?" :confused:

I'm all for a local shop to do the work, in fact they did do some on my 60, but one benefit you will get from the larger "pre-made" pipes is dyno testing and an exhaust that's specifically tuned for your vehicle.

Rather than dink around with trying to determine if a 2" or 2 1/2" pipe will provide sufficeint or too little back pressure.

My 2 cents.

Plus Borla is SS. :D

Be very careful which brand/model muffler you decide. I ran the 40 Series 2-chamber 14" Flowmaster for several years.... although they sound nice and 'echo-y' they also tend to generate more noise to achieve that echo. I found when you're 'on' the motor or reaching a certain RPM, they will drive you and your passengers crazy after awhile. The Flowmaster 40 Series is one of the most durable mufflers on the market, but they also resonate the most in-cab noise. I had to take it off because my ears couldn't take it any longer.

I currently run DynoMax Super Turbo on my Jeep and it has a nice throaty sound, but you hear less of it inside the cab. DynoMax ST is essentially the OEM Corvair Turbo muffler made by Walker back in the 60s....

And if its perfomance gains you're looking for try Hooker Aero Chambers. I run these on my Hemi car, but I can't really provide an objective opinion on how good they sound compared to other brands... or how they would sound with a 285ci/235hp motor in a Land Cruiser.

This Web site has a good description of what to expect from all these brands....
http://www.fle-online.com/Mufflers.htm

EDIT: Sounds :idea:
DynoMax
Hooker

Last edited:
a990dna said:
Be very careful which brand/model muffler you decide. I ran the 40 Series 2-chamber 14" Flowmaster for several years.... although they sound nice and 'echo-y' they also tend to generate more noise to achieve that echo. I found when you're 'on' the motor or reaching a certain RPM, they will drive you and your passengers crazy after awhile. The Flowmaster 40 Series is one of the most durable mufflers on the market, but they also resonate the most in-cab noise. I had to take it off because my ears couldn't take it any longer.

I currently run DynoMax Super Turbo on my Jeep and it has a nice throaty sound, but you hear less of it inside the cab. DynoMax ST is essentially the OEM Corvair Turbo muffler made by Walker back in the 60s....

And if its perfomance gains you're looking for try Hooker Aero Chambers. I run these on my Hemi car, but I can't really provide an objective opinion on how good they sound compared to other brands... or how they would sound with a 285ci/235hp motor in a Land Cruiser.

This Web site has a good description of what to expect from all these brands....
http://www.fle-online.com/Mufflers.htm

That's a great site! Too bad it doesn't have sound.

macneill said:
Too bad it doesn't have sound.

Fixed it for ya, see above.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom