Castor Shim ?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got some 6 degree castor shims for my front axle today and was reading something about using a different spring pack pin with a taller head. I have new OME's up front and was wondering if the pin they come with will work or if I should have ordered different ones????

It's a good idea to always replace that pin when you have it out, in this case you have to use a longer one. Did you check the caster before ordering the shims or just get the 6 degree because that's what people say you'll need? FYI, I did the OME heavies in front and the caster is only off the 3 degrees. Might want to check before adding them.

Why 6 degrees? Did you get it measured first and that is what you need? If the pins are long enough, they might work. The big head pins are the best to use if you need new ones.

unless you need it, 6*'s is ALOT. enough to create other issues.
had 6 in mine, redid the bearings and tre's to fix death wobble, but the dw would return under predictable conditions. the steering was very heavy. and when sitiing still and turning the wheels back and forth, you could see and feel one side or the other lifting.
i had way too much castor in it.
pulled teh 6's out and was planning on driving it for a week to see if it felt like it needed nore castor back in.
none was needed, and all the above issues disappeared.

Brain, did you ever check to see where you're at w/o them? I decided 3 degrees wasn't enough to bother with myself. Maybe a bit of understeer but I'm not sure that's an accurate description of the change. Wondering at what point shims really should be added.

Bought the shims from CCOT off their website. I read on their site that they recommended the 6 degree ones for 2.5" over stock shackles. I have their 2.5" shackles. Is this info. not correct??Shims

No, what is correct is how far off your truck is according to a good alignment shop. These trucks are all different regardless of what anyone may tell you. Before returning them get it checked, maybe you do need 6 degrees, maybe not but there's only one way to be sure.

cool. I'll take it in before I do anything then. Thanks everyone!

Im taking her in this week i'll let you guys know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom