Castor plates and 6" lift?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by T Y L E R, Jul 4, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Is this possible? Or do the plates have to come off ?

Not sure what my stock castor was, but after an OME 2.5 I had NO castor issues without modifying anything. So maybe my rig was one of the ones that came off the line with a castor around +4 degees.

I am quite happy with my 850J/863 & castor plate setup, just thinking out loud.

TY

2. concretejungle

concretejungle

I have been wondering the same thing. I know i want to go to a 6 inch lift, but right now my caster is off with just the 2.5 inch lift, thus the need for the caster plates. THis is also the reason i haven't welded them yet.

3. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    So, both of you guys have a 2.5" lift and th ecaster plates with no vibes? That's amazing!

4. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Alia176, I do not have a 2.5. That was a while ago. This winter I went with the equipment in my sig line. And without rear seats and any after market bumpers I am pretty light. Add to that clears all around, and I damn near float! ;p . I have no vibes and the truck tracks incredibly well.

TY

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Perhaps I've nearly answered my own question:

Get a castor reading at an alignment shop, and then see where 'this' particular rig sits in terms of upward potential. I understand that the 80's come off the line with a variance in castor. So will this variance still hold post castor plates ? Or do the plates lock the 80's into some static castor setting?

TY

6. Darwood

Darwood

The caster plates just rotate the axle housing down at the pinion side which in turn adds more positive caster. So if you lift more, you will loose positive caster since the axle housing will rise at the pinion side.

So TY, are you thinking slee arms with the caster plates, or just caster plates with the 6 inch lift? Slee arms with the caster plates should be fun. if you ask me there is no such thing as too much caster :D

I guess bottom line is get an alignment, figure out the current caster and then go from there. There should be some old posts that state how much caster in degrees you loose per inch of lift. I think it was something like .5 degrees of caster per inch of lift?

7. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Derek, you know me .. I have no idea what I'm talking about .. *L*

But I wassss thinking of my stock arms with the now welded in place Slee plates. And wondering how much further I could raise the truck before that equipment could no longer provide sufficient castor correction.

TY

8. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

When you get to 6" lift you really need to move the axle forward as well. Caster plates do not do this.

9. Riad

Riad

Does this mean I would need longer arms with this lift ?

10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Riad, start by going to Mr Slees website .. click on it in his sig line. Then look for the 6" lift under suspension. It will detail what goes into the 6" lift.

TY

11. Riad

Riad

T Y L E R,

I have read this (following) list many times in "Mr. SLee's" website. Therefore, I can see what goes into/with the lift. I don't see any (longer) front arms in the list, unless I am missing some thing. I assume, installing the lift will move the axle forward and one "may/does" not need longer arms. And, thus, my question was more directed towards that :) . So again I ask :) , hopefully with a clear tone, do I need to get longer arms up front to forward the axle or it happens due to the setup of the lift?

6" Lift Consist of:
    2 x SOF5FM Front Coil Springs
    2 x SOF5RM Rear Coil Springs
    (Could be replaced with SOF5RH Heavy Springs depending on load)
    2 x N73L Shocks
    2 x N74L Shocks
    1 x SD24 Steering Damper
    1 x Slee Off-Road Front Control Arms
    1 x Toyota Style CV drive shaft.
    1 x Front Sway-bar Drop Kit
    1 x Rear Sway-bar Drop it
    1 x Rear 25" Rear Bump Stop Drop Blocks
    1 x Front 2" Bump Stop Drop Blocks
    1 x Set Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines
    1 x Front Panhard Rod - Core Return
    1 x Rear Panhard Rod - Core Return
    1 x Set Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms. - Core Return
    2 x Breather Extensions
    1 x Emergency Brake Cable drop bracket

12. concretejungle

concretejungle

alia, i do have the 2.5 lift with caster plates and have a very slight grrrrrrrr in front driveshaft. It's not bad though.

13. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Riad .. they are "1 x Slee Off-Road Front Control Arms" - 1 PAIR. They are BENT differently ...

TY

14. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

From Slee's site :

[​IMG]

TY

15. Riad

Riad

So you DO need them with 6" lift. The description for the lift does not say that I guess. I have been wondering about the very same question with the castor setup and increasing wheel base with the 6" lift. That's good to know. Thanks

16. clownmidget

clownmidget

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.