1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castor correction with " stock " OME springs?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by spartan, Aug 24, 2006.

1. spartan

spartan SILVER Star

I know it's a strange one, but I am considering lowering the truck with OME standard height springs. The only catch is that I have the castor correction kit installed. What effect would this have after lowering? I would leave the 30MM front spacers in to level the truck. Shocks would be switched out obviously and the LSPV readjusted. Thoughts?

2. tech_dog

tech_dog

From Michelin's web site: "Too much caster causes hard steering and can also result in excessive road shock and shimmy."

I'm not sure how much over adjustment it would take to bring out these symptoms.

3. cary

cary

My thought is the 861/862 combo lifts the truck about 3/4" and you are adding another 1-1/4" by using spacers which equals almost 2" of lift. That is not far off the standard medium lift OME springs so the standard caster kit should work great.

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

Make your suspension changes, then take it to an alignment shop. Tell them what's going on, and if they say you have too much caster, replace one or both bushings with stock to obtain the correct caster.

-Spike

5. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

You can replace the bushings, or have them aligned to give less correction.

6. bhmmapping

bhmmapping

could you find another member that has the stock height ome springs who would be willing to swap springs, shocks, and control arms? I might know someone ;)

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    This depends entirely on how much caster the vehicle has now. No two 80's have the same caster. You will have to do a caster sweep to determine where it is now before the question can be answered.

8. spartan

spartan SILVER Star

I knew you were going to say that.

These bushings were installed as per the OME instructions without regard to " actual measured " castor changes from the installed lift and the truck seems to be fine. No abnormal tire wear, handling, etc..

I guess the real test would just be to do it and see what happens.

Perhaps the best solution would just be to tell my wife - who is the one on the lowering mission because she's pregnant with only two months left to go - that it can't be done cause of the castor correction kit installed with the lift.

That and our five year old daughter wouldn't know how to get into a vehicle that doesn't require climbing skills.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  9. Martin White

Martin White

Why not temporarily install a step lift? Some of them fold up enough to be out of the way. You could always take them off later....

10. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

That's funny, I had to put the running boards back on last week due to my wife's pregnancy! It was too painful to watch her get in and I didn't want to take the mini-van on a trip up to N. Arizona.

Ross

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">