Caster shims for use with 2-3" OME springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Thought I had saved the 2* caster shims I had before so that I could put them back in when I do the OME springs, but now I can't find them anywhere. Thinking with the lift they'll be necessary this time around (they actually contributed to my death wobble when installed on stock springs with full length Add-A-Leafs, and they were definitely installed correctly). Want to go with steel shims obviously, but just wondering who sells the best fitting shims to go with OME springs (thinking the best fit for the spring pins) on a 60/62?

I had highly lifted springs in the front of my old cruiiser (at least 3"+ space between the rubber bump stop and the perch) and never installed caster shims. Drove it like that for 20 years and 230,000 miles and the steering never bothered me.

Well nothing says I can't try without and see how it handles. It does seem to vary from person to person whether shims help or hinder the handling.

The thing you will probably notice the most by going more negative on caster is that steering will be a little easier. Also the steering may center faster.

I just did 4* with an ome heavy lift with their shackles.

It drives great. Steering returns to center easily and is far less twitchy at speed.

In my experience, the steering usually isn’t a problem due to the whole tried and true method of running a 10.5 tire on a 5” wheel. I didn’t notice that my steering was bad until I went with an E rated tire on the proper width wheel at 45psi.

My suspension was comfy with the 33x10.5-15 and the 5” wheels at 32 psi but it was also slow to respond and not very precise. Body roll was bad as well.

I feel that is why the second I went to a stiff tire, my truck felt twitchy and hard to keep in the lane. The caster shims fixed this.

crazy idea, you could actually measure your setup and modify accordingly

crazy idea, you could actually measure your setup and modify accordingly
I'll see how it feels without the shims first and get an alignment check once the suspension has settled in after a few days. If the caster is off by much and steering feels wonky, I'll try with shims. Be a PITA to pull the springs again to replace the pins if I decide to put shims in after the fact, though....

I got my shims from 4crawler years ago, I think Georg sells them now too. Been a long time since, but I added them after installing OME springs, so I must have noticed poor tracking without them.

I got my shims from 4crawler years ago, I think Georg sells them now too. Been a long time since, but I added them after installing OME springs, so I must have noticed poor tracking without them.

That’s where I got mine. I told him what I had and he suggested the 4*.

I'll see how it feels without the shims first and get an alignment check once the suspension has settled in after a few days. If the caster is off by much and steering feels wonky, I'll try with shims. Be a PITA to pull the springs again to replace the pins if I decide to put shims in after the fact, though....

Or you could use a $3 harbor freight angle finder or free smartphone angle finder app.
It’s not that hard to put shims in... frame on jackstands so the axle is hanging, loosen ubolts, slide shims in. Like, an hour?

Or you could use a $3 harbor freight angle finder or free smartphone angle finder app.
It’s not that hard to put shims in... frame on jackstands so the axle is hanging, loosen ubolts, slide shims in. Like, an hour?
Unless you need center pins with longer heads, which I did with my stock springs when I tried shims. Can't remember if the OME springs have longer heads than the stock ones though. They're already buried under other people's s*** in my garage :bang:

@orangefj45 is who I went with and got 4 degree. I also got spring pins (cheap) and new ubolts as I had no idea how old the ones were before.

worst case you may have to cut your old ubolts off if they won’t come off.

most leaf spring cruisers had caster at 1 or less from the factory. Bigger tires and lift just makes that worse.

I went with 2deg shims : holy 💩 this is way better at speed.

stepped up to 4 deg: I can’t believe this is even better.

I’m OME heavy and anti-inv. Shackles.

I’d go with 4deg.
How much lift? I got the 2-3" kit. Heavy with AI shackles also.

I’m running the same set-up. 34’s with load range E.

get the 4 deg.
Cool pretty close to my plan. I'll be running 33s once it's all set up.

I have 2 degree shims installed with OME 2"-3" suspension setup with 33's. Alignment info after install showed just over 1 degree positive. I have driven it this way for a couple of years, and have to say it was a big improvement from no shims.
I just ordered 4 degree shims from WFO Concepts. My hope is that this will eliminate the last bit of tendency the truck has to be a little twitchy and to follow ruts, etc on the asphalt. I will report back with my totally subjective results, unless I decide to go back to the alignment shop and get some facts to clutter the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom