caster shim install question (dumb question?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, this may be a pretty dumb and obvious question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways:
I'm gonna be installing 4 degree shims today into my truck on the front end. MAF sent me longer center bolts for the install. But how will longer threads on a centre bolt gain me the length I'll need to use the shims? I thought I'd need longer heads on the bolts, not more thread?
Does that make sense?
In other words, how are these center bolts supposed to be used?
thanks,

Beau

beauh said:
hey guys, this may be a pretty dumb and obvious question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways:
I'm gonna be installing 4 degree shims today into my truck on the front end. MAF sent me longer center bolts for the install. But how will longer threads on a centre bolt gain me the length I'll need to use the shims? I thought I'd need longer heads on the bolts, not more thread?
Does that make sense?
In other words, how are these center bolts supposed to be used?
thanks,

Beau

You are asking the right question. The head needs to stick up enough to fully engage in the hole in the bottom of the axle. I took the old nut (from the old center pin) ran it up against the bottom of the head on the new center pin, and then rounded it off on a grinder. A cheap and easy spacer, to ensure I had a long enough head...ya, I worry about that...

If the hole in the shims is small enough, you can use the center bolt to clamp the shim to the spring pack and a long head isn't needed. If the hole is as big as the head, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do. A spacer or a nut like Dug suggested, should do it.

Yup, if the pin is threaded all the way up to the head, just run a nut all the way up there, and round off the corners, if necessary. Usually, the head of the pin is lengthened to accept the shim, maybe you ordered the wrong thing, not a big deal...

nial

thanks guys, everythings cool. The install went well. Although I'm not happy with the heigth. The springs seem kind of flat. They're brand new 2.5" Dakar springs.

Keep an eye on those shims, if theyre aluminum. Mine went convex from galvanic corrosion (aluminum and steel in contact) and made my springs walk a bit in the perch. Took me a while to figure out how it couldve come to that, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom