Caster correction plates, looking for tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tdtp.org
So I just got in my correction plates that I ordered from camel4x4 (ironman brand). They seem stout and look like they will hold up well. I have a question about install though. From what I can tell the axle is held in place by the two radius arms? I think that to install them I should put the front axle on jack stands and do them one side at a time, does that seem correct to everyone?

Also I am wondering about the sway bar, Ironman didn't seem to mention a drop kit was necessary but I have read otherwise. What will happen if I install the plates without dropping the sway bar?

Last but not least, I am pretty sure that on the Slee kit they say to reuse the OEM bolts buy I have been supplied new ones with this kit, any reason not to use the new hardware? Thanks guys.

I think it would be easier to jack up the frame and let the axle hang (unloaded on the arms....). Then do one side at a time. I don't see any reason not to use the new hardware since it was included in the kit.

Last edited:
Why would I let the axle hang? It seems like I should have it supported while installing.

The easiest way is to support the chassis, and remove the coil springs. Then you need the axle to be in a position where the radius arm bushes are not loaded up. If you let the axle hang, then due to the panhard the axle will be pulled to one side loading up the bushes which makes it more difficult to work on.

You will need to use the bolts that came with the plates, as they need to be longer then the standard bolts.

devildogcruiser25 said:
Why would I let the axle hang? It seems like I should have it supported while installing.

i am going to be doing this in a day or two as well, to rid of the MAF drop caster brackets so i can get my MT sliders installed finally. I think the slee install instructions are very helpful but has anyone got a write up of this with pics? I guess My question is if the radius arms are under "load" or whatever.... I would guess that lifting the frame up until the front axle is "unloaded"(but not necessarily "hanging" would allow removal of the RA's from the axle... Thanks!

Last edited:
Support your cruiser with jackstands on the frame. Loosen the bolts on your control arm, but don't take off. Use the jack to lower your axle. Now take off the 2 front nuts/ bolts from the axle. Leave the rear bolt on. Now you can install the plates. Reverse install procedure.
I used the Slee plates. If your lifting your truck, its best to install your extended brakeline 1st. Good luck.

Busmup- got it. Thank you for the help. I will take pictures and do a write up in the next few days. I know it's probably a simple procedure but it would help others like myself who havent done this before.

Devildog- i have the metal tech plates, but i believe they are identical to slee's

Yeah they don't seem to be that hard, but I asked because I wasn't sure. I learned that I needed to take the load off the axle to make it easier. Thanks for the tips guys! I'll take lots of pictures when I do it.

No problem, that's what the board is for. I'm a mechanic and i still ask before doing. Especially if it's done for the 1st x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom