Caster Correction kit issue - need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang,

I recently installed the OME J springs on my 96 TLC. Upon removing the control arms and having a local shop install the new OME bushings, I discovered that the front axle has moved and now the control arms are about 1/2 " short. I.e., I need to somehow rotate/move the front axle enough to get the front bolts through the bushings. I tied off the axle to the front tow hooks, but it moved the other way. I currently have the truck on jacks and the front tires off. The jacks are resting on the frame, thus the axle is free to move, but moving the axle around is something I've never done.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Nordeen

I'm a bit lost as you said "new bushings" and then said "new arms".

I will assume that you are refering to new OME castor correction bushings. I will further assume that the bushings were installed so that the front bushing hole is "up" and the rear bushing hole is "down" and that the center-to-center spacing is also correct.
If the above preamble is correct, here is what I did:

I managed to get one of the rear holes lined up using a tapered punch. I then installed the bolt and loosly installed the nut. I then got a small pry bar between the front facing edge of the control arm and the axle housing and pryed the housing "up" to get the hole to a point where I could insert the punch. I then used the punch and the prybar to move the housing up to where I could insert the front bolt.

it takes a bit of playing with it but it worked for me.

:cheers: Dan.

Opps, forgot.

I also found it helpful to unbolt the swaybar mounts from the frame to allow the axle housing to rotate a bit more freely......

I put the car on stands with suspension at full travel almost then leave the wheels on, then just push pull the tyre to get the holes to line up.

Jeff,
Another suggestion if those don't work. Take a long rope and run through one of the holes in all 4 wheels, then use a piece of 2x4 (like a tourniquet) to tighten the rope, pulling the wheels & front axle toward the rear. You might be able to do one side, then the other.
-B-

Well,

A fun night of pushing and pulling and I got the driver's side in. On the passenger side, I have the rear bolt in and a solid screwdriver through one of the front bolts. I've taken everything in my garage and placed it up against that front axle and hit it with the bfh, and I just can't get it to move that last 1/4 inch.....ugh.

I will try again tomorrow.

--Jeff

can you let me know how the J springs do for you, I too have a 96 and am wanting to do the exact same thing you are doing, please let me know how you like it, how it drives, any drive line vibritions.

Thanks
Seth

Borrow a come-a-along ? Perhaps rig up a hi-jack to function as one ?

Ill repeat it. did they get the angles correct when they pressed them in? if os I like gumbys ratchet strap idea and if that doesnt work rent port a power and make it go where you want it.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom