1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caster Correction kit issue - need help

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by jeffnordeen, Dec 11, 2003.

1. jeffnordeen

jeffnordeen

Hey gang,

I recently installed the OME J springs on my 96 TLC. Upon removing the control arms and having a local shop install the new OME bushings, I discovered that the front axle has moved and now the control arms are about 1/2 " short. I.e., I need to somehow rotate/move the front axle enough to get the front bolts through the bushings. I tied off the axle to the front tow hooks, but it moved the other way. I currently have the truck on jacks and the front tires off. The jacks are resting on the frame, thus the axle is free to move, but moving the axle around is something I've never done.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Nordeen

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I'm a bit lost as you said "new bushings" and then said "new arms".

I will assume that you are refering to new OME castor correction bushings. I will further assume that the bushings were installed so that the front bushing hole is "up" and the rear bushing hole is "down" and that the center-to-center spacing is also correct.
    If the above preamble is correct, here is what I did:

I managed to get one of the rear holes lined up using a tapered punch. I then installed the bolt and loosly installed the nut. I then got a small pry bar between the front facing edge of the control arm and the axle housing and pryed the housing "up" to get the hole to a point where I could insert the punch. I then used the punch and the prybar to move the housing up to where I could insert the front bolt.

it takes a bit of playing with it but it worked for me.

:cheers: Dan.

Opps, forgot.

I also found it helpful to unbolt the swaybar mounts from the frame to allow the axle housing to rotate a bit more freely......

3. the shed guy

the shed guy

I put the car on stands with suspension at full travel almost then leave the wheels on, then just push pull the tyre to get the holes to line up.

4. jeffnordeen

jeffnordeen

Thanks guys,

I will give both the pry bar as well as the push/pull method a try.

--Jeff

5. Beowulf

Beowulf

Jeff,
    Another suggestion if those don't work. Take a long rope and run through one of the holes in all 4 wheels, then use a piece of 2x4 (like a tourniquet) to tighten the rope, pulling the wheels & front axle toward the rear. You might be able to do one side, then the other.
    -B-

6. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Before you get started I'd measure the distance between the holes in the bushing to be sure it WILL fit.

7. jeffnordeen

jeffnordeen

Well,

A fun night of pushing and pulling and I got the driver's side in. On the passenger side, I have the rear bolt in and a solid screwdriver through one of the front bolts. I've taken everything in my garage and placed it up against that front axle and hit it with the bfh, and I just can't get it to move that last 1/4 inch.....ugh.

I will try again tomorrow.

--Jeff

8. sledge916

sledge916 Media Partner

Media:
    Albums:
    can you let me know how the J springs do for you, I too have a 96 and am wanting to do the exact same thing you are doing, please let me know how you like it, how it drives, any drive line vibritions.

Thanks
    Seth

9. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Borrow a come-a-along ? Perhaps rig up a hi-jack to function as one ?

10. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Get a ratchet strap and tie it to the back axle. Ratchet in to place.
    You'll never regret having an extra ratchet strap around.

11. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Ill repeat it. did they get the angles correct when they pressed them in? if os I like gumbys ratchet strap idea and if that doesnt work rent port a power and make it go where you want it.
    Dave