caster correction bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the 2.5" OME medium llift. I love it but have an oportunity to sell my cruiser and buy a garage queen, one owner, w/ LOCKERS :D. My question is, i'm probably going to take the springs off and put the stock one's back on; can i leave the caster bushings in, or should i put the stock one's back in. I know those boys are going to be a real pain to get out. :cheers:

Swap control arms.

:cheers:

but Dan,
I can't sell my truck with no control arms. And i can't buy the other 80 until mine is sold. Not really wanting to buy spare arms.

Just line up the sale of yours for the weekend following your pickup.

1 weekend of wrenching and problem solved!

I wouldn't leave those bushings in as they would not be a stock caster angle...seeing as you are selling a stock truck you should be a good PO and set it back to stock.

Dude, email Christo. He's got spare control arms sitting around, and I'd suspect he'd sell you a pair, or possibly work a deal or something (that's up to y'all, as they say). Then swap your control arms out.. do you need any stock springs?

I kept the stock springs just in case. I'm going to leave the OME shocks on b/c the stock one's were shot.

The shocks cost more than the springs. If all you are retaining is the springs you may as well leave it alone. Springs are 300 bucks +/=. If you really want the springs back, pull the shocks too and buy a set of factory shocks to go back on for less than a hundred bucks for all 4 versus 80 bucks a rattle for the OME's.

With stock springs and OME caster correction bushings the alignment will likely be way out of spec, which the buyer will find out as soon as the first alignment is done. I would be surprised if the alignment guy would figure out that offset bushings were installed. Possibly, he would say, not knowing any better, that something is bent or wrecked, unless he happened to be familiar with lifted coil sprung 3 link live axle front ends.

I haven't priced OEM bushings, but I expect you would be shocked at the cost to have a Toyota dealer replace the bushings with new OEM, which is what the buyer would end up facing, at a minimum. Worst case would be the buyer shelling out for new suspension components like axle housing or arms.

I think it would be lame to sell the cruiser to somebody with the front end out of whack like that. I would fully restore it to stock or leave in the lift and consider it the cost of fair trade, pride, integrity, and all that. If I were to leave in the lift I would also explain to the buyer what bits are not stock, so if in the future, repairs were needed, the owner would know not to inappropriately mix in factory parts.

Along those lines, when I installed the center diff lock switch I taped and labled both the removed "switch bypass plug" and the removed "pin 7" black & blue wire so that in the future if a tech is working on the wiring he will have a clue as to what is going on. I don't want the next guy to have to guess or spend time figuring out obscure changes that I have made.

I must agree with Rich. I think you should leave it all alone for many reasons, all of the ones Rich and others mentioned, as well as the fact that I do not know how the extended length shocks would work with stock springs. I would think that using the stock springs with the extended shocks would bottom out the piston on the shocks and rapidly mess them up. That plus incorrect bushings may make for a dangerously unpredictable ride. Since the cost to do it right is too high, I would 'do it right' by just leaving it all alone. Just my opinion. :beer: For All!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom