Caster causing Stinkbug? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've been looking at FZJ80's up here in WA state and have stumbled upon one that's got a 2.5" OME lift on it (Heavy Front, Medium Backs) that's got some serious stink bug going on.

Owner says he never installed caster correction bushings, which is causing the forward rake.

After doing a little searching on the subject (loads of info on here about it) I've yet to see the caster bushings being the reason this is happening.

I've read about the importance of caster correction and also seen that every cruiser is different when lifted. I could see if this is just one of those cases of "this is how this particular cruiser acts when lifted" but was wondering if there might be any truth what the guy is telling me. Would caster correction bushings change the way this cruiser sat?

I appreciate any and all wisdom! :cheers:

(note: ARB winch bumper installed, no winch. No sliders, stock rear bumper, no additional skid plates or significant weight adding modifications have been done to this rig)

Attached pic.
LX450.JPG

OME's are available in a variety of lengths, aren't they? If so it seems like the springs are not from the same set as that's pretty serious stinkbug despite the vehicle being intentionally parked pointed uphill and the camera rotated slightly - both intentionally to minimize the stinkbug. The caster plates don't change stinkbug - that's a function of the spring height and spring strength. Something doesn't match here regarding the springs, especially if they're claimed to be the same length lift and the FRONTS are the heavies...??...

DougM

LOL, maybe he got his order backwards and put heavy rear and med front.:hillbilly:

What is "stink bug"??

1) The smell in your truck after forgetting fish in the back seat after fishing.

2) Rake, Rear end taller than the front.

3) A little bug.

:grinpimp:

Is this an "avoid at all costs" scenario or should I see about getting the price dropped due to questionable lifting procedures?

Based on the guy's reason for not implementing any caster correction (bushings needed a press he didn't have) I'm more than certain he did everything at home.

This, of course, means that he very well could have reversed the springs. I've e-mailed him about that, still waiting on what he says (certainly not trying to insult anyone here).

If I do pick it up it needs to be driven 5 hours home, would this be unwise in it's current condition?

What would the recommended course of action be for troubleshooting/fixing something like this? I'd hate to spring (no pun intended!) for a new lift...

Put some 40s on the front should help. IMO looks j springs in the rear. I don't see how caster could cause that.

Maybe caster was the reason the front was not lifted higher.

I have J springs front and rear; and I had the MAF drop brackets for caster correction. But, I had to remove my drop brackets because the Metaltech slider mounts are in the same spot. When I removed the brackets, I did notice I lost ~3/4" (just a guesstimate) in the front. That being said, mine looks nowhere near that stink bug'ish....And I also have ARB in the front but no winch yet.

Salue

I wouldn't say walk away but I would consider the cost parts or labor to correct the stance. Springs caster correctoon. Definitely test drive, but I am sure you'll make it home.

It looks like the heavies are in the back. I wouldn't be concerned the spring were put on backwards because the rears wouldn't work on the front anyways. Looks like your just going to have to get a rear bumper/tire carrier, drawer system, and a new fridge to bring it back down. It'll look perfect then! :D:D:D If everything else is right with the truck I'd buy it.

It looks like the heavies are in the back. I wouldn't be concerned the spring were put on backwards because the rears wouldn't work on the front anyways. Looks like your just going to have to get a rear bumper/tire carrier, drawer system, and a new fridge to bring it back down. It'll look perfect then! :D:D:D If everything else is right with the truck I'd buy it.

I'm with this guy. It's hard to find this in the Pacific Northwest. As rare as these are, I say buy it the way it is. You can always find a way to bring that ass down a bit. Just drop it like it's hot.:censor:

I would say: Who cares why it has stink bug?

If it is in good condition, and the rig you want, you can correct it, however you want to. You can change the springs, use trim packers, correct the caster with bushings or plates... Lots of options/possibilities.

I would say: Who cares why it has stink bug?

I suppose my hesitation comes from the possible negative effects running the truck like that could have; ie wear and tear on drivetrain components, extra strain on bushings, etc.

I know these trucks are tough, but anything can go wrong when stuff is used out of tolerance.

Anyone have any input on possible effects from running this rig as it has been for a few thousand miles?

Castor correction has no bearing on stinkiness. Definitly looks like normal in front and heavies or mediums in rear. I did this to my cruiser because I haul a lot of weight in the back, 851s in front, and 863s in back. I have bad stink bug, and have proclaimed myself king of stink.

I plan to put in metaltech 1.5 inch spacers in front to level it out, then blue slees to correct the castor. For 2 years i have driven it with no castor correction, its a bit touchy, to light for me, but livable, seen a lot worse. I would not worry about the stinkiness, just makes me wonder who did the work, cause he doesn't know what he has, and what else was touched. Looks good to me though from here
At Selmo.jpg

I suppose my hesitation comes from the possible negative effects running the truck like that could have; ie wear and tear on drivetrain components, extra strain on bushings, etc.

I know these trucks are tough, but anything can go wrong when stuff is used out of tolerance.

Anyone have any input on possible effects from running this rig as it has been for a few thousand miles?
The only negative effect of going without caster correction, would be that it will have "squirelly" steering, until caster is corrected. When the caster is corrected, the steering will be like it was designed. That's it. I ran with caster uncorrected for a couple of years and ~10-15k miles, corrected it last year. Absolutely no "damage" from running without caster corrected, just drives much better now with steering as it should be.

I have the OME 2 1/2 mediums and when I added a rear bumper with dual swingouts (tire carrier and ladder with basket) it lowered the back of the rig a full inch, gave me reverse stink bug. Point being that the mediums are not meant to handle much additional weight. In addition to the ARB, any chance this rig has a dual battery set up, a winch we can’t see in the picture, or maybe one of those 70lbs marine batteries under the hood? If so, it could just be weight forcing the front down. Ask the owner if he has the receipt or maybe even the OME box so you can confirm what is on the vehicle.
I would look first, but would see this as more of a negotiating point to drive the price down.

P.S., make sure you look at the caster bushings to make sure he didn’t do anything stupid.

Yeah, a local MUDDER is going to check it out tomorrow (it's a short plane ride away for me) so I'm anxious to get his report.

As it stands right now I'm looking at this rig or a very well maintained 95 with stock suspension (same size tires) so it's going to be decision time on my part.

My end goal is the OME 2.5" lift, so either way I'll have some suspension work to do, and I'm starting to lean towards a "built by me" approach, though it'll take longer and might cost a bit more.

(Mileage on the two rigs is identical, the stocker is a little more expensive but local)

Price, mileage, maintenance, overall condition, clean carfax and lockers was my check list. I know a lot of great people on this board will help you look at a rig that is not local, but I just wasn’t comfortable not looking myself. The stink bug by itself wouldn’t scare me off, but what other half-arsed DIY projects are hanging on this guys rig. Starting with a stock rig and doing it myself was the way I decided to go. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom