Cast iron Cookwear help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These are what I use when the crowds show up at our place in Montana, I built a adjustable grate that sits up on top of the fire ring.

20150708_071225-L.jpg

I noticed that the other lodge skillet has rivets or hardware to hold the handles on, that seems to be a poor choice in my opinion. These are all created together.

I noticed that the other lodge skillet has rivets or hardware to hold the handles on, that seems to be a poor choice in my opinion. These are all created together.
I have been using this
https://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-steel/12-inch-seasoned-steel-skillet.asp
Since Feb of 2013, it sees service almost daily and so far no problems with the rivets. I would also add that most of the commercial cook ware I own is built with riveted handles.
I also have a Griswold griddle, the cast in handles are about worthless for anything. I still love it it though.

These are what I use when the crowds show up at our place in Montana, I built a adjustable grate that sits up on top of the fire ring.

20150708_071225-L.jpg
Very nice grate--cast or steel?
I like the big griddle--I have 3(2 pics), that do the bacon thing great--also pancakes or French toast-----unfortunately, no name

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

This is the other in my tool box of cast iron. It is a Wagner 10" made in the usa

i-s6xLV98-L.jpg
Looks like a cornbread pan to me--Here's mine(got a smooth bottom, so you have to be careful how you pour in the cornmeal mix--from the sides--not the center)---actually, when you think about it, doesn't matter the surface-pour in the mix in the center and you will burn it in the center--mix pushes the oil out away from the center to the sides--
BTW - you will not get any better Stone-ground cornmeal anywhere than from Nora Mill(Helen, Ga.)

IMG_2425.JPG

I found those grates over on Amazon and built around them. They heat up great and leave super grill marks on the burgers and steaks. Easy to clean as well.

BBQ factory 67233 Porcelain Cast Iron Cooking Grid Grate Replacement for Select Brinkmann, Grill King Gas Grill Models, Set of 3

http://www.amazon.com/bbq-factory-Porcelain-Replacement-Brinkmann/dp/B00IMT3XGY

Very nice grate--cast or steel?
I like the big griddle--I have 3(2 pics), that do the bacon thing great--also pancakes or French toast-----unfortunately, no name

Thanks had not given any thought that it could be a cornbread pan. The Cast Iron collection keeps growing

Looks like a cornbread pan to me--Here's mine(got a smooth bottom, so you have to be careful how you pour in the cornmeal mix--from the sides--not the center)---actually, when you think about it, doesn't matter the surface-pour in the mix in the center and you will burn it in the center--mix pushes the oil out away from the center to the sides--
BTW - you will not get any better Stone-ground cornmeal anywhere than from Nora Mill(Helen, Ga.)

This won't help you with new cast iron but if you see a 3052 D Cast Iron oval buy it. Best camping pan I ever got. Fits across both burners and can be used in a variety of ways. Great multi-tasker.

3052 d.jpg

A non-issue. Virtually all commercial cook ware has rivets because they don't fail and are super strong. Plus they give the pan an industrial look that's nice.

Believe me, I used to be a cast only guy too, but steel pans are just better. Cast iron's weakness is the crappy short stub handles that get too hot. The steel pans solve that and make the cook ware much easier to handle, but retain all the goodness of an iron surface. Remember, steel is iron plus 1% carbon, Cast iron is iron plus 4% carbon. So it's essentially the same stuff and the steel is easier to form, heats more evenly, is easier to handle and won't crack.

Advice for the OP...Buy a couple of the Lodge Skillets for starters, and when you realize how great they are, buy a DeBuyer 12 inch which is even better. Then throw out anything with a Teflon coating.

I have an ancient cast iron pan back in oz - the only one I've seen that had a screw on wood handle, replaced over the years, but nice to have a handle that a) isn't at the surface temperature of the sun and b) gives you more distance from the fire etc.

Agree that teflon coatings are evil and have no place in any 'real' cookware :)

cheers,
george.

Hmmm. I'll actually be there tmrw. Thanks for mentioning it.

...via IH8MUD app
get some of their FROG jam--you'll like it.

Advice for the OP...Buy a couple of the Lodge Skillets for starters, and when you realize how great they are, buy a DeBuyer 12 inch which is even better. Then throw out anything with a Teflon coating.

Thanks I got a 10 inch skillet and a griddle, going back first of the month will see what else I can buy. Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

Just a thought, I get some great deals out of estate and or yard sales. Folks don't know what they have or how to season them properly. My round skillet I picked up for 3 bucks. Made it worth getting.
Thanks I got a 10 inch skillet and a griddle, going back first of the month will see what else I can buy. Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

I got a great deal on a cast iron wok. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. It can be used over electric or gas burners as well as fire. Stir fry, deep fry, whatever.
Never seen one of these--My 2 are both hammered steel-could you post a pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom