Events/Trails Casner 2021 ROTM - October 24, 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this suitable for a stock FJ40 or FJ75 Troopy?

Think 2018 was the last time I was on this run. Did in a stock 89 FJ62. Tires were old brittle 31X10.50X15s that I didn't air down. Was one point on the long steep section I had back down a little and pick a different line. Should point out that is easier to do with an automatic. Getting started once stopped a steep incline is easier without having to deal with a clutch.

Down we have a current trail condition? Remember since 2018 was issue with a large boulder blocking trail.

Might camp Friday.

I don't plan to participate in the run. If nobody else is camping Friday that's not a problem for me.

Not sure if there is anyone heading up Friday. Usually some would head up Friday and then most camped Saturday after the run. This being a Sunday run not sure how it will play out. I was thinking heading up early Saturday and run around the area on top of the rim and camp Saturday night. Not sure if I will stay Sunday night or not.

It was 36° last night in rim country. Did a quick trip to the valley this week and brought my cold weather sleeping bag up north. Planning on heading to the rim this afternoon to check if the maple leafs are starting to change. Weather has been crazy this year. Snowed along I-17 around Munds Park yesterday. Just before I got home yesterday my wife said we had a hail storm. Would an accordingly.

I don't plan to participate in the run. If nobody else is camping Friday that's not a problem for me.
I’m planning on camping near the trailhead Friday and spend Saturday exploring the cliff dwellings in the vicinity, then camping again Saturday and waiting for the group to arrive Sunday morning.

At least that’s the plan if I don’t have to move my daughter on Saturday.

I'm planning on heading up that Thursday to grab the spot and sit around doing nothing.

Will have to see how some things play out but spending a few days camping is really appealing after the last feel years. Current plan is not to leave up north until the end of the month but that is subject to change.

Good news! No wait, Great news!

We have a permit! The Forest Service worked some magic and due to the closures earlier this summer they opened up some additional days.

Our run day is Sunday, October 24th. I am not sure of what I will be doing for camping and such but at least we know we can run Casner.

We are limited to 10 vehicles on the trail.

The Lucky Few Trail Runners:
1. @brices123
2. @ftbshop
3. @Living in the Past
4. @Stepmurr
5. @samtoddlee
6. @peacesells63
7. @Pitch
8. @Just Diddly
9. @jkl72-40

Happy Campers:
1. @brices123
2. @Otter
3. @Living in the Past
4. @Stepmurr
5. @peacesells63 - Maybe
6. @verruckt1
7. @Pitch
8. @Saddletramp
9. @Just Diddly

Please post up to let me know you want to go on the run. It will be first come, first gets to go.

Thank you,

If you are interested in running the trail, but there are already 10 people signed up, please let me know and I will put you on a waiting list. There always seems to be last minute drops outs and or people willing to have ride-a-longs.
Please sign me up for the Oct 24th Casner Run. Count me in for the trail, but I won't be camping. Thanks.

Update: I have received the permit, se we are good to go on Sunday.

Here are the coordinates for the camping area.
34.97696, -111.79906
or
34°58'37.06"N 111°47'56.62"W

The elevation is about 6,850. The weather forecast for the weekend in Flagstaff is low about 32 and the highs in the upper 50's.

I need to redo my maps for the new camping area and will be posting them in the next day or so along with the plan.

Update #2

The map is attached to this post.

Blue line is the Sedona to the Casner #8 trailhead.
Green line is the Casner #8 road.
Red line is the end of Casner #8 to the camping area.
Green star is the camping area.

There is a ton of room at this camp site. Enough for 20 or more vehicles.

Here is a link to the 2021 Coconino Forest Travel Map.

Attachments

• Casner Trail Map.pdf
    541.3 KB · Views: 82
My plan is to head up early Friday afternoon. I would like to leave the Valley about 1:00 or so. That would put me into camp around 4:00.

What is everyone else doing?

My plan is to drive up Saturday before noon. Graham has a tee ball game around 8a, so we'll drive up after that.

Meeting place: Safeway on Highway 89 in Sedona (2300 West Highway 89A, Sedona, AZ 86336)
Meeting time: 8:30am
Departure time: 9:00am

We will not air-down at Safeway, but somewhere on FR 525.

If you get gas in Sedona, I do not suggest you fill your tank completely. The switchbacks are steep and hot, you run the risk of boiling over, or spilling fuel out the filler overflow.

Casner is essentially a rough power line road that climbs Casner Mountain from near Sycamore Pass, southwest of Sedona, to the top of the Mogollon Rim south of Flagstaff. It is a unique access area because it bisects the Sycamore and Secret Canyon Wilderness areas, which are at times less than 50' apart. The road offers tremendous red rock views, follows a very narrow ridge at times, and is accessible to vehicles by permit only.

My plan is to head up early Friday afternoon. I would like to leave the Valley about 1:00 or so. That would put me into camp around 4:00.

What is everyone else doing?

I'm going to be on the same schedule only Saturday instead of Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom