Events/Trails Casner 2021 ROTM - October 24, 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Good news! No wait, Great news!

We have a permit! The Forest Service worked some magic and due to the closures earlier this summer they opened up some additional days.

Our run day is Sunday, October 24th. I am not sure of what I will be doing for camping and such but at least we know we can run Casner.

We are limited to 10 vehicles on the trail.

The Lucky Few Trail Runners:
0. @brices123 - I will ride with someone.
1. @ftbshop
2. @Living in the Past
3. @Stepmurr
4. @samtoddlee
5. @peacesells63
6. @Pitch
7. @Just Diddly
8. @jkl72-40
9. @TheGrrrrr
10. @John Morgan

Happy Campers:
1. @brices123
2. @Otter
3. @Living in the Past
4. @Stepmurr
5. @peacesells63 - Maybe
6. @verruckt1
7. @Pitch
8. @Saddletramp
9. @Just Diddly
10. @Highway Romping
11. @Abigail
12. @Dimples

Please post up to let me know you want to go on the run. It will be first come, first gets to go.

Thank you,

If you are interested in running the trail, but there are already 10 people signed up, please let me know and I will put you on a waiting list. There always seems to be last minute drops outs and or people willing to have ride-a-longs.

Last edited:
Put me down for camping. I've made the run before, so I'll let someone else get a turn if there's no slots available.

I’ll take a spot. Saddletramp days my truck can make it.

im in!

I will very possibly camp also.

I’m in for both. Thanks Brice!

I’ll take a spot. Saddletramp days my truck can make it.

Sure your 80 series is triple locked. Done this run a few times. Once in a 99 4×4 4Runner without a rear locker. Rest were in my stock 89 FJ62. Last time I had to back down a little and pick a different line on the steepest section. That probably because the tires were old and weather cracked. Because of that I didn't air down. I'm debating to take the 89 again which now has the rims and tires off the 99 4Runner. Or 2018 4Runner that I thought was the replacement for her 04 4Runner. Either way unless the trail condition has gotten a lot worse should be fine.

Tuesday morning after October 2018 run we had snow in the high country. Would was just over twenty years ago had a fall turkey permit in 6B. It was cold windy and snowed. If camping would be prepared. If snowing Sunday could be an interesting to say the least run towards the top. Plus side most campers have left the high country. Hard to keep track of all Fish and Game special hunts but this date is after fall turkey and before the general deer hunt starts. Might be a muzzle loader deer Hunt. Being a Sunday not sure kid there is any interest in doing some exploring the area above the rim Saturday and then camping Saturday night?

Wish I could join but will be out of town. Enjoy!

Sure your 80 series is triple locked. Done this run a few times. Once in a 99 4×4 4Runner without a rear locker. Rest were in my stock 89 FJ62. Last time I had to back down a little and pick a different line on the steepest section. That probably because the tires were old and weather cracked. Because of that I didn't air down. I'm debating to take the 89 again which now has the rims and tires off the 99 4Runner. Or 2018 4Runner that I thought was the replacement for her 04 4Runner. Either way unless the trail condition has gotten a lot worse should be fine.

Tuesday morning after October 2018 run we had snow in the high country. Would was just over twenty years ago had a fall turkey permit in 6B. It was cold windy and snowed. If camping would be prepared. If snowing Sunday could be an interesting to say the least run towards the top. Plus side most campers have left the high country. Hard to keep track of all Fish and Game special hunts but this date is after fall turkey and before the general deer hunt starts. Might be a muzzle loader deer Hunt. Being a Sunday not sure kid there is any interest in doing some exploring the area above the rim Saturday and then camping Saturday night?
thanks for the insights @livinginthepast ! I might be interested in the Saturday exploration as I'm bringing my teen son with me. Figured he could stay out of school Monday as we planned camping Sunday night but maybe that would work better. How long from the usual camp spot at top of the world down to Sedona to start the run on Sunday morning?

thanks for the insights @livinginthepast ! I might be interested in the Saturday exploration as I'm bringing my teen son with me. Figured he could stay out of school Monday as we planned camping Sunday night but maybe that would work better. How long from the usual camp spot at top of the world down to Sedona to start the run on Sunday morning?
If the Forest Service roads are dry, I would say it is probably an hour drive from the camping spot to the meet-up spot in Sedona. We typically meet at the Safeway on 89a. From the Safeway, the trailhead to Casner is probably;y 30 minutes or so.

We will probably meet up at Safeway about 9:00 - 9:30. Since it is a Sunday, I might be a little more strict on the time frame because I am sure there are people who will want to get home Sunday and not camp Sunday night.

Hope that helps.

Only gone from the rim to Safeway (usual meeting point) once. That was over a half hour drive. From Safeway the start of the trail is Southwest. I went once time with @Pitch. That was with a FJ Cruiser group. They started in Cottonwood which is enough further south.

Whoops, commented on the old thread. I'd love to join in on the run & camp as well.

I'll try to figure out my work schedule and plan around that (I'm the new guy so changing my schedule isn't too easy yet, but if I give enough notice it should be possible)

Is this suitable for a stock FJ40 or FJ75 Troopy?
See post #11 in this thread it might help you get a better feeling.

One year I drove a stock 100 (with a little bigger AT tires), pulled an expedition trailer and had six people in the truck. I made it without an issue.

I think a lot of it depends on your comfort level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom