Cary, speaker guru (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Cary,

I took your advice on the discontinued Eclipse 2-ways (had to scrounge around Good Guys all over SoCal) but I finally found them and they are on their way. Couldn't pass up the deal ($110 total for both pairs) and also wanted to keep stock appearance. The guy says there may be some sort of non-standard wiring due to the "Premium Sound" system that would not allow you to just r+r the old stock speakers. Something about it having separate amp(s). Any idea what he's talking about? Also, was disconnecting the dash tweeters just a personal preference thing, or is it necessary for proper function?

Thanks!

Dan
97 LX 450

Dan:

Last question first: disconnecting dash tweeters in your LX is not required fro proper functioning.......I would bet, though, that after you install the eclipses ( I used the same ones) you will notice an 'overly bright' condition. I tried both ways, and my preference was to disable them..the Eclipses in the front will probably be sufficient. I have a little high frequency hearing loss which apparently comes with age, so I am adding back a component tweeter in door pillars....get 'em up high and at my ears.

AS for non-standard wiring on the LX, I did not find that to be the case....it was a simple 'plug 'n play' situation............IF you do not intend to bypass that whopper of an amp and wonderful (just a tinge of sarcasm) sub. My 'premium' sound, and I use the term loosly, is Pioneer, not Nakamichi or Levinson.

Other than that, if all you are doing is upgrading the OEM speakers in the 'premium sound' LX, just plug 'em in.

Dan, everything bkgiii said is correct. They are a plug and play item. Note that somebody (I can't remember right now) had some trouble with their 94, there may be a difference in mounting depth on the pre95 Trucks. Also, I have the e-mail address for a member from 80's cool that will fabricate custom spacers if you want to dump the stock grills and use a deeper speaker. I personally am at a point in my life where stock looking is good.

Cary

P.S. For any members that are shooters, I am cleaning out the safe and have a few firearms I looking to get rid of. E-mail me if you are interested.

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=4930;start=msg37865#msg37865 date=1062688436] Also, I have the e-mail address for a member from 80's cool that will fabricate custom spacers if you want to dump the stock grills and use a deeper speaker. [/quote]

Whats custom about them? Do they blend in better then the average spacer?

i have a '94 -- the mounting was a bitch, but i got it figured out -- thank God for crazy-glue -- sniff, sniff!!

e

I already asked him that.

He gave me some cock-and-bull story about working 25 hours a day 8 days a week on computers and the last thing he wanted to do was BS with us on a computer :'(

I think he had a better offer someplace else ::)

The truth is I traded in the Cruiser for an H2 and decided I didn't need to hang out with a bunch of jealous and insecure wannabes like you guys. :flipoff2: ;)

Speaker experts:
How about the center console "subwoofer" in a 97 LX 450? Can anybody specify a good replacement? Resistance to diet pepsi is probably as important a quality as fit and function, unfortunately. Thanks, BigMac

Just wanted to bring this back to the top to see if anyone had a response to BigMac's question re: finding a replacement for that center console sub in a '97 LX 450. My '96 LC had a bigger one in the rear - you would think they would UPGRADE the system to justify the extra bucks they get for a Lexus.

Dan

I will chuck in my "installed" impressions on the Eclipse SEs...

I put 5.25s front and rear.....WOW! BIG Difference...

One thing I would suggest....the Eclipse 8362 SEs are 6.5s and WILL fit into the rear doors (they have the same mounting depth as the 5.25s).

I had to cut the recessed metal out of the rear doors to fit the 5.25s and I know there is enough room to fit the 6.5s

Anyone wanna buy a set of 5.25s from my rear so I can put in 6.5s? :D

[quote author=drenwick link=board=2;threadid=4930;start=msg40112#msg40112 date=1063250155]
Just wanted to bring this back to the top to see if anyone had a response to BigMac's question re: finding a replacement for that center console sub in a '97 LX 450. My '96 LC had a bigger one in the rear - you would think they would UPGRADE the system to justify the extra bucks they get for a Lexus.

Dan
[/quote]

Okay without seeing the driver, it is hard to know what to suggest to replace it with, so I am going to give you some very incomplete fundamentals to help you select a driver. If the 6.5" driver is in an open baffle (the back of the driver is not in a sealed or ported box, from the link listed below, select a driver with a qts of at least .4 preferably about .5-.8 and the highest efficiency (db per watt). If the driver in a small sealed enclosure, select the driver with the highest efficiency and a qts of .2 to .5. Finally, if the driver is in a vented enclosure, you are on your own because vented enclosures have to be an exact match for a driver to work properly (basically it is a crapshoot unless you measure the enclosure, vent and work backwords to find a driver that works well.)

Here is the link:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=488

Cary

B Mac...I don't know how much you want to alter your vehicle but if you are looking for good true bass (and I don't mean booming), you may want to consider ditching the factory 6.5. This size is more of a mid bass. Many good "full range" speakers fall into this size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom