Carter on an F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Icantdive55

SILVER Star
Threads
What I've got is a 65 FJ40 with a Carter WA-1 carburetor. I have only put a few miles on this rig since I bought it so I don't know how well a Carter performs on this type of rig. It needs a rebuild which is becoming some what of a problem (kit availability). So if you have owned one of these before did it perform well for you? Should I search out a rebuild kit or search out a different carb?

Rod

Ditch that Carter, anything IMOP would be better:idea:

I don't know anything about the WA-1, but I've got a Carter AFB on my 2F with an offenhauser intake. I recently had a stock Aisin carb rebuilt by Jim C. and plan to swap it in soon. The 4-barrel carter is troublesome and way too much carb for the engine. My main complaint is the stalling out off-camber. Woody has a write-up on how to make some mods to the carb to improve it, but I'd rather stick with the stock carb.

The AFB 4bbl is not related to the WA-1 1 bbl, except by manufacturer. The WA-1 is way old and was used on wwII vintage Studebaker trucks. Parts kits are still available.

Ah, I see. Thanks, Pin_Head. So, is the WA-1 suitable for the F engine?

I don't know. I had one on my Studebaker flat head 6 in my Ford MB jeep when I was in high school and it was old back then. Seemed to work fine on hills and off road.

Hey, Ican'tdive55, I have that same carb on my '69. The engine is the older F135. It runs great, starts right up with a little choke and is not very cold blooded, even when it was 20 below this winter. It doesn't have a lot of power, but runs super smooth. I've never driven any other 40, so don't know what I should expect. One thing about it, no matter how steep or off camber, I've never heard it miss a beat.

stude baker used a hercules jxd engine . and yes i know it said studebaker on the manifold. the jxd was used in alot of stuff i got a carb kit for my us6 from and auto supply store that is now napa so mabey they still have em .those carbs are getting somewhat old so you may want to get something newer or go original good luck

I had a 1 barrel carb(not sure if it was a carter, it was from a chevy) on my F when I bought it. It ran fine on the road but like s*** on hills and when bouncing off road. I put a non-emissions toyota on it and it was much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom