Carseat anchor points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a 60 series land cruiser year model 84 from memory and have found out we will be having a bub.
I use the 60 as a daily so don’t want to sell it but am wondering if I can get anchor points put in the rear for a car seat as I’ve been told some models they won’t install them (not 100%).

I think the best bet would be to pull the rear seat back out, strip the fabric and foam off and add a tether point to the metal seat frame. I’d probably reinforce the area around the tether. Put it back together and make sure the latches that hold the seat back up are functioning on both sides.

the tether should get you through 3-4 years. Then if you still have the truck and the child is moving into a booster you can start looking to add 3 point belts.

Use the center lap belt. Its all you need. The straps which will come with the baby car seat base (and attach to the dedicated mounts present on a new car) run in the exact same slot your existing seat belt will run. The baby seats are designed to use existing seat belts. This isn't a 'bubba hack'. The modern anchor points are useful if you need to move the seat from car to car; faster and easier attachment.

We used a Graco with the click in base. We put a base in both cars and the carrier clicks into either. When you go shopping for your carrier and see it in person, you will recognize the belt path and see how it is designed for all types of belts; lap, shoulder, and provided straps.

You will want to check that your existing belts are in good shape, not faded or contaminated with oil.

Use the center lap belt. Its all you need. The straps which will come with the baby car seat base (and attach to the dedicated mounts present on a new car) run in the exact same slot your existing seat belt will run. The baby seats are designed to use existing seat belts. This isn't a 'bubba hack'. The modern anchor points are useful if you need to move the seat from car to car; faster and easier attachment.

We used a Graco with the click in base. We put a base in both cars and the carrier clicks into either. When you go shopping for your carrier and see it in person, you will recognize the belt path and see how it is designed for all types of belts; lap, shoulder, and provided straps.

You will want to check that your existing belts are in good shape, not faded or contaminated with oil.

This is how we did things when my son was young. Not in a 60 but in a somewhat modern car (2002-2005). The car seats are designed to be used this way. Our modern car had car seat attachment points and we never used them. Just buckled the center belt and away we went. I bought a car specifically with attachments to take him around safely. Then never used the attachment points. At the time you didn't want a little one directly behind a seat so specific placement was in the center of the back seat, facing towards the rear of the car. Maybe that's changed these days. Been out of the kid game for awhile. He's 18 now, so you know it worked. Your bigger issue will be when they get older and you have to use the shoulder belts to keep them in. If your 60 doesn't have them in the rear already, you'll need those down the road to take the kid anywhere. Keep the 60. HTH.

Last edited:
That's a tough one. I don't daily drive my 60 and we don't have a car seat in it, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Your post mentions having the car seat installed, but you may be on your own on this one. Everyone in the baby business is so liability conscious (understandably) that I wonder if you're gonna have a hard time finding someone willing to install a car seat on an almost 40yo car, especially one without a three point seat belt. It's not very hard to install yourself.

I wouldn't use the middle seat on a 60 because that belt doesn't have an inertial reel and most installations take advantage of the ratcheting of an inertial reel thats pulled all the way out. If you absolutely needed to use the middle seat, I could see maybe using the anchors to bolt in the ends of a ratchet strap so you can get it nice and tight. Also, I think this solution would only be temporary because the click-in car seats only work till the baby is 9-12 months or so. We just had to upsize to a toddler car seat and ours needs a shoulder harness but maybe they're not all like this. If you did need it, there is a kit to install 3 point belts in the back seat of a 60 but I don't know much about it. The rest of the answer depends on what you'll be comfortable with as a parent. I think that it will be "good enough", but, you have to be alright with "good enough" and knowing that it may only be 99.something percent as safe as a seat installed in a car with a LATCH system or modern seat belts. It's a slippery slope.

I'm sure you're overwhelmed with all of the little things to think about, but everything will work itself out and you'll be ready.

Best of luck with the pregnancy and Congrats!

The middle of the car is the safest place to mount a baby seat because it offers side impact protection from both sides. The new car anchors I've seen are close to the middle; offset slightly to allow an adult passenger to sit next to the baby on one side (usually the right).

Non-ratcheting straps are more reliable than ratcheting. Note that the straps which come with the baby seats are non-ratcheting.

The angle of incline of the baby seat is very important. If the baby slumps head down while sleeping it can interrupt breathing airflow. Carriers will have a level indicator built into the seat to protect the baby.

Agree that the middle seat is generally the safest, but I don't see how you could get a non-ratcheting seat belt as tight as a regular lap belt, but we may just have to agree to disagree on that one. Also our car seats' straps ratchet so maybe that just means that we're both right.

Compression of the vehicle's seat foam is the limiting factor on 'tightness' or rigidity of the baby seat. Ratcheting or non-ratcheting is moot on tension. Any able adult should be able to generate adequate tension with either style. Ratcheting straps are designed to release and allow passenger motion under certain conditions. Malfunctions at critical times do occur.

Non-ratcheting belts are annoying precisely because they never release.

Last edited:
You could anchor the top tether to the load hooks in the floor if you have them?
I'm using the lap belt in the middle furtherest away from the sides and easyer to see the little one.
Kneeling on the baby seat then doing up the belt gets it very tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom