Carrizo Plains Nat'l Monument (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone familiar withe the road through the Carrizo Plains Nat'l Monument in southern California? On the map it looks like an oil road running north out of Cuyama, east of the Temblor Range, to around Cholame (close to where James Dean ate his dashboard, I think).

I've always wanted to drive it; have the chance with my brother this Sunday or next.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

David, it might be a little too late for this weekend but I'd pester the folks over at this site (http://www.4wdtrips.net/) for more info on that route. A couple of them are very well versed on the desert southwest (US) backcountry routes.

I can say I've been out there but not for just a dedicated one or two day drive, but tramping around all over locating different species of lizards. So my recollection of the area isn't well formed with regards to a direct route. It is a very beautiful area, maybe a little hot now but if you have the chance to get out, I'd say "Get Out!".

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.
Mike R

clownmidget said:
David, it might be a little too late for this weekend but I'd pester the folks over at this site (http://www.4wdtrips.net/) for more info on that route. A couple of them are very well versed on the desert southwest (US) backcountry routes.

I can say I've been out there but not for just a dedicated one or two day drive, but tramping around all over locating different species of lizards. So my recollection of the area isn't well formed with regards to a direct route. It is a very beautiful area, maybe a little hot now but if you have the chance to get out, I'd say "Get Out!".

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.
Mike R

Thanks Mike.

That's funny you mention lizards. I want to get a close up of a Leopard Lizard. Last saw one outside California City twenty years ago, and I understand the Carrizo is a good environment for them. That and maybe horned lizards.

Sounds like you are a herpetologist. If I make it out there and get any pics I'll be glad to send them to you.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom