carrier bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YODA 88 62

SILVER Star
Threads
installing an aussie locker tonight and i noticed vertical play (1/8") in the carrier bearings. ican move the carrier up and down. doesnt seem right. what do yall think?

i will probably replace them anyways (176K miles). any pointers on resetting the ring and pinion.

thanks

Last edited:
Holy Shnikeys! :eek:

An eighth is a whole bunch of slop or adjustment on the carrier bearings.
Didn't it make some interesting noises getting off & on the throttle?

Tips:
Carefully inspect the gears, they are probably worn funny from being so far off pattern. I'd suggest swapping diffs Frt to rear. Change the pinion bearings and seal on the original front diff and change every bearing on the original rear diff. Put the noisy old rear gearset in the frt, put barely used frt diff in the rear.

Use the FSM and the handy little booklet that comes w/ the install kit from Randy's R&P.

Having access to a press is helpful.

Very straightforward, much easier than those cheapo danas.
:banana: :banana:

my roommate says that the amount of play in the bearings is normal. he is 99.8% sure. i trust his opinion for the most part. i am worried about something breaking from the play.

around 90% of the tooth worn. i will chalk it in the morning and check it with the 3rd member at different angles.

i plan on doing a SOA in the next 6 months. i will then get gears and new bearings.

thanks for the advice

The carrier bearings shouldn't have any play in them. You aren't talking about backlash in the gears are you?

Any play in the carrier bearings is BAD NEWS.

does $85 sound right for two bearings w/races?

definitely not talking about the play in the gears.

any ideas on getting them on/off without a press. two statigically placed pry bars? BFH?

thanks

EDIT-- one of the adjusting caps was loose. i tightened it about 5 holes. now there is a very small amount of play.

i dont get the bearings untill in the morning.

Last edited:
Is the adjusting cap lock missing? That's the little "tooth" that holds the lock from moving once it's set right.
Getting the bearing off is the tough one, I'd try the pry bars until you can get a puller under the edge of it. Putting it on you have a ready made press using your jack and the rest of the truck!! You DON'T want to be whacking the bearing with a hammer, it tends to shorten the life of the bearing too much :)
Position the jack,carrier and bearing under a clean part of the truck and use the jack to push the bearing on. Use a spacer (big socket, pipe coupling etc.) so that you are pushing ONLY on the inner race of the bearing. The truck is a ready made 2 ton press! It's just not as convenient as a shop press.

locker is in and has been street tested. will trail test tomorrow.

i pulled one of the bearings off with my hand. the other one was knocked off with a punch.

used the bumper of an FJ40, 2 blocks of wood, stock bottle jack, and a friend jumping on the bumper to press the bearings on.

:beer: to the advisors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom