Carrier Bearing Nut Staking (2010 Taco @120k mi) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys!

I replaced my rear driveline ujoints (3) and carrier bearing this weekend. Wow -- nearly eliminated my vibration issues.

After going back through my notes, I forgot to stake the final 24mm nut on the carrier bearing. Is this going to be a big deal? I really do not want pull the driveshaft again -- it was a big feat for me to do. I did hit it with blue loctite and 100ftlb of torque.

100 ft-lb is not that much. I would be taking that driveshaft back off and staking the nut.

100 ft-lb is not that much. I would be taking that driveshaft back off and staking the nut.
Well, I hit it with an impact wrench and then used a torque wrench to confirm it was at least 100ftlb. Do you happen to know the spec for the torque on the nut?

It seemed seated there where it was before removing.

Is there a risk to not staking?

Well, I hit it with an impact wrench and then used a torque wrench to confirm it was at least 100ftlb. Do you happen to know the spec for the torque on the nut?

It seemed seated there where it was before removing.

Is there a risk to not staking?
Reading How To: Replacing Carrier Bearing - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-replacing-carrier-bearing.260283/ the spec torque is 134ftlb. I hit it a few times with a torque wrench -- I am sure that was at least 134ftlb!

The risk is that the flange could wiggle loose if the nut backed off. Bad vibration. I suppose you would get some warning. But I would be stressed about it and have to go back and do it right.

It would REALLY suck to have that flange fall off.

The risk is that the flange could wiggle loose if the nut backed off. Bad vibration. I suppose you would get some warning. But I would be stressed about it and have to go back and do it right.

It would REALLY suck to have that flange fall off.
Agreed! The cruddy part of the story is I rented tools and returned them all -- even more, I am headed from Denver to Moab Wednesday. :drowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom