1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carpet cleaning...LC related

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by patride71, Aug 15, 2005.

1. patride71

patride71

i cleaned out the back of my 60 this weekend. i found that i had a container of gear oil leaking on my carpet in the cargo area. i pulled out the carpet and have tried to clean it, but man i can't get it clean. i could probably live with it, but gear oil smells like ass.

any suggestions?

thus far i tried spraying it with water and letting it dryout in the sun after cleaning with resolve and after using another store bought carpet cleaner.

i'm tempted to just trash it as i've already trashed the front carpet due to a leaky windshield gasket that rotted the carpet out....

2. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Try some degreaser on the affected area (let the degreaser saturate the affected carpet), after removing as much as you possibly can, move to some carpet soap/shampoo, throughly scrubbing the area (it'd be a good idea to shampoo all of the carpetting in the rig as to get rid of any odors left over by the degreaser); finally rinse and let dry.

3. trouser_trout

trouser_trout

Media:
    Albums:
    Lay the carpet out on your driveway. Hose it off real good. Use a water based degreaser. Wash it good with a medium bristol brush. Use a squeegee to get the water/suds/grease out. Repeat. Finally, rinse it out good using the hose and squeegee. Drape it over something outside to dry.

Trust me on the squeegee thing- it works great.

TT

4. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Pressure washer at the car wash (soap, rinse, dry in the sun) made my floor mats look like new. Just don't get carried away with it.

5. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    your doomed. i have gear oil in the carpet of my computer room. i re-geared my diffs in my house, it was too hot to work outside in a shed, in florida, mid-day, 3 days before an offroad trip. it still looks wet( the carpet) and it smelled bad until i lite some hippy candles and played led zep for a few hours.

you might want to try the hippie candles and led zep....would go great with the 2f fumes...

6. BURGER

BURGER

Had the same thing with motor oil. Get some spray and wash clothing cleaner. Worked great and the smell has completely dissappeared.

7. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

For what it's worth... previous gear oil spill thread maybe the guy who started that thread can post up how it came out (or whether it still smells)

8. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    No promises made. I remember my mom using toothpaste to get out bad stains in the carpet when I was a kid. I know coke works well on oil but by itself it may stain the carpet even worse.