carpet alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
The carpet in my 60 is trashed and I am planning on yanking it out and replacing it with something else. What I need is something that will withstand abuse and provide insulation. The kind of stuff the interior of this 60 has to face includes regular dirt, mud, water, cave mud, organic oozy mud, clayish mud, blood, snake and turtle musk, animal crap, sloshed alcohol (for preservative), and miscellanous other stuff that I can't remember right now.

What I'm thinking about installing in place of the carpet is a rubber bed mat from a truck. By using the old carpet as a template I think I could cut one that would work. May have to use > 1 piece around the tranny hump, but otherwise much of the floor and especially the cargo area is flat. With rubber I could probably just hose out the floor once or twice a year.

For a layer of insulation I'm thinking about closed cell foam (sleeping pad type) or neoprene. The foam would be cheap and could most likely be fit around the tranny hump. Neoprene would be easier to fit but may be more costly.

Thoughts, comments?

Godwin said:
The carpet in my 60 is trashed and I am planning on yanking it out and replacing it with something else. What I need is something that will withstand abuse and provide insulation. The kind of stuff the interior of this 60 has to face includes regular dirt, mud, water, cave mud, organic oozy mud, clayish mud, blood, snake and turtle musk, animal crap, sloshed alcohol (for preservative), and miscellanous other stuff that I can't remember right now.

What I'm thinking about installing in place of the carpet is a rubber bed mat from a truck. By using the old carpet as a template I think I could cut one that would work. May have to use > 1 piece around the tranny hump, but otherwise much of the floor and especially the cargo area is flat. With rubber I could probably just hose out the floor once or twice a year.

For a layer of insulation I'm thinking about closed cell foam (sleeping pad type) or neoprene. The foam would be cheap and could most likely be fit around the tranny hump. Neoprene would be easier to fit but may be more costly.

Thoughts, comments?

I'm getting ready to tear out my carpet as well. I'm thinking about using somesort of spray-on truck bed liner,such as, Line-X or Rhino Lining. Its a bit pricey but IMO looks good and is super durable. Just another option to consider.

ditto the line-x, I am having panels made and powdercoated the light grey of the interior, having the cargo area line-xed and the panels linexed about 3 inches up to keep things from hammering them. Over the wheel humps (those vinyl things are stupid!) However, right now I am keeping the carpet up front. still working that out.

good luck and always pictures of what you end up doing.
tjg

There are also a few do it yourself type roll on liners out there. I have used Lava liner and another called Dura back which comes in colors....I think. Both work well and look good, best of all no maint. You pull the old carpet, blow out the cab with air, mix the junk just like any two part system and paint it on. Stuff is tough as hell.

I'm looking for cheap functionality. The MAF and SOR replacement rubber mats are more than I want to spend. As for spray-on/roll-on liners those are either going to be more $$ and/or time than I want to put into this. Prep is the key with the liners. If the body were stripped and well prepped I would consider this. I had a truck bed Rhinolined and was pleased with the results. The stuff was tough and in a cab I think it would offer good insulation and durability. I've Durabacked the interior of an M416 trailer, and I'm not overly impressed with how the Duraback is holding up. Too thin and easily torn, and that was by using an entire gallon. So that leaves me with looking at other options. I'll let you know what I do.

There are already threads here about this.

For carpet, try the marine stuff (black or brown) from Lowe's. 6' wide rolls, could do the back for 30 bucks.

I also found a large, very thick rubber mat at Tractor Supply for $60 that could be trimmed around the wheelwells. Used for stalls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom