Save the Date Thread - Carolina Relic Run 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jamesurq

Reefmonkey
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
reefmonkey.com
Since we've set the dates for next year's Relic Run, (April 23-26th) I'd love to hear your thoughts on suggestions.

What did we do last year that was great?
What do we need to work on improving?
Is there anything that we did at Logans Run that we should also do at CRR2020?
Would you be interested in a non trail related ride instead of the trail ride? - Asking for the trailer queen types...
What activities/add-on type benefits would you like us to add?
Any feedback on food/raffle style/music/anything?
Do you feel like the price is reasonable?
Any feedback on the shirt design/style?
Some events have had hoodies/hats/patches - is that something that would interest you?
Any feedback on the overall location/area/etc?

For those that don't have 'Relics':

If you didn't go last time - is there something we can add that would make it worth your while coming?
If you did go - are there things we can do to make sure you're included as part of the fun?

Would love to hear your honest feedback - if you don't feel like you want to say it in front of the whole group - feel free to send me a note, I will keep it completely anonymous. I want this CRR to be the best event ever, period.

Great! Save that date and be sure and spread the word.

One idea I've thought about is a complementary Luxury Ride.

CRR is an awesome event, but if you don't have a genuine Relic, well...

For those of us living the pampered, leather-swathed, burled wood gentleman's life, a Luxury Ride might be fun: your Toyota/Lexus can be any age, but must have leather, or wood trim, or both. Idea is to honor yet not infringe on the actual Relic Run, and still fully participate. (e.g. I'd love to go and hop a ride in a bona-fide Relic, then when that part of the event is over, get back into my leather/wood/AC/IFS Creampuff and go do stuff.)

Since you asked: wanna move it to New England:grinpimp:

Always thinking out of the box Jim :)

One way or the other, I'm there, that is, unless I'm dead.

One way or the other, I'm there, that is, unless I'm dead.

Well, we could still have ya there, but we might need to have somebody help ya watch your raffle tickets.

1572552162464.png

One idea I've thought about is a complementary Luxury Ride.

CRR is an awesome event, but if you don't have a genuine Relic, well...

For those of us living the pampered, leather-swathed, burled wood gentleman's life, a Luxury Ride might be fun: your Toyota/Lexus can be any age, but must have leather, or wood trim, or both. Idea is to honor yet not infringe on the actual Relic Run, and still fully participate. (e.g. I'd love to go and hop a ride in a bona-fide Relic, then when that part of the event is over, get back into my leather/wood/AC/IFS Creampuff and go do stuff.)

Found a venue for you ...

I think the original campsite area was nicer - and much more intimate. Sorry if it was limited for spacing.

if we have to go back to the pasture, the pasture needs mowed twice just before we arrive... sadly, the tall grass and limited tree coverage area disappointed vs the original campsite.

I wouldn’t oppose an early in the morning asphalt road trip... if a destination other than the Outpost could be secured... not sure what else is available.

maybe schedule a timed tire change challenge

Maybe a hi-lift jack demo - show several uses for a hi-lift.

Last year was my first time at the event. I thought it was great overall.

A few suggestions for improvement would be to either increase the price of raffle tickets so people don’t buy 1,000 of them, or limit the amount purchased. Also, I’d suggest we have someone do vehicle inspections the time of arrival so we can hit the trails quicker in the morning.

Overall the organization was good. I thought the venue was also good. Food was great 👍.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Keep it coming! Some follow ups on what's been mentioned above:
  • "Luxury Ride" is maybe a little bit specific, but I definitely think there could be a few semi-organized rides for the non relics as well as a "street cruise" with the possibility of a coordinated lunch stop at a park or restaurant in the area? (I agree that the outpost isn't the best plan for that). Maybe someone could take a look around and see if there's a nice lunch spot that would be within a reasonable distance? Some nice twisty roads or overlooks along the way? Any suggestions from locals is appreciated.
  • Original Campsite (Group Camp) being more intimate. We wholeheartely agree. And it's why we kept it there for Logans Run. Problem is, this event will be too large for the Group Camp location. We can work on putting some more organization in place to keep people grouped together - but ultimately people like to disperse and have their own little areas. I think if I could suggest that everyone at some point should step out of their comfort zone, and go join a group of people around a fire that you've never met before. With only a few minor exceptions, everyone is very welcoming, friendly and fun to talk to.
  • Raffle Ticket Price - we addressed this at Logans Run with $5 instead of $1 tickets as well as a completely different format for the raffle (table raffle style). This worked out well - and likely we will repeat for CRR.
  • Inspections being timely - We're 100% on board with this. We have only a few people that volunteer to do vehicle inspections and as such it sometimes gets behind. Our plan is to incentivize this task and be sure that it's fully staffed from the minute we open the gates.
  • Organization was a mess but thanks for the compliment :) - I feel like we made some great advances in our organization and overall flow for Logans Run - the plan is to learn from the changes and implement permanently what makes sense.
  • Food - the Outpost does a nice job with the BBQ meal. We've discussed possibly adding a catered breakfast or other meal opportunities but haven't had a lot of buy in. The potluck dinner on Friday night at Logans Run was a great success. Although most folks didn't officially commit to bringing anything, the selection, quality and quantity of food that did end up on the gingham draped tables rivaled any office pot-luck I've ever been to.
  • Mowing - We will be sure to mention this to them. I tend to agree that with the long grass it wasn't great
  • Competitions/High Lift Jack/etc - we will talk to the I4WDTA and see if they'd be willing to do their training sessions again like they did for Logans Run. The folks that did participate were very positive in their feedback!

We have a TON of kids at our events, is there anyone that would be willing to organize a treasure hunt or a scavenger hunt or some other "keep them busy for a few hours" type event? I know it's not necessary, as a group all of your kids are VERY well behaved and generally keep themselves busy - but I'd like for them to have something activity wise that's specifically for them.

Any further suggestions?

Last edited:
James,

If people want a ride on pavement. A good spot to drive to would be morrow mountain.
Great views and a good spot to eat lunch. The route can either head north on 109 or south on 109 to get there. It just depends on how long you want the ride to be.

Thanks for the suggestion Del.

You know you're basically now volunteered to lead that ride, right? ;)

I think we've called that the Outlaw Ride in the past. Stefan and I did it this past year, as we might have been the only non-Relics there. Hopefully, that's NOT the case in 2020...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom