*********Carolina Beach Memorial Day Weekend 2008******** (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will definately be going on the 23rd arriving around 9pm. We will be leaving around 3pm on Monday the 26th. Lets hear from the others and see how many are planning on going.

This looks like a ton of fun!!! If all goes well, I'll be comin down w/ a lady friend and possibly a couple buddies from N. Myrtle w/ some boards.

Bill, I'm back in TR now for the summer. Think we could caravan??
I hope this works out. Good times shall ensue.

Man I can't wait. I thought this would never get here.

I'm off work Thursday and will be packing, prepping, putting on street tires, maybe even wash her ! !
Jeri and I both have to work Friday the 23rd and so I plan to leave straight from the car mill at 5:30 PM Friday afternoon. If I recall it'll probably be about 5-6 hours to Pleasure Island, so figure 11-midnight ETA. You C'ston guys leave a light on for us eh? Send up a flare when you see us eh? If we miss you we'll find you Sat morning.

Karl if you want to go that late I'd be glad to convoy. You could even pick Jeri up at Cherrydale and bring her to BMW so she wouldn't have to leave her car out there.

At any rate glad to have you along. Looking forward to seeing you again. Got no surfboard, I could bring Steve's snowboard and try the dunes ha ha. Some friends of mine used to take their snow skis out in the Empty Quarter in Saudi and ski on the big dunes. Quite a sight seeing guys on dirt bikes out in the big desert with skis strapped on their backs:lol:

Last edited:
Seeing as this is in my neighborhood, it would be rude of me not to come down there and say hello to everyone. Im glad you guys are excited, I drove around on the beach Saturday for the first time this season and it was already crowded, but still beautiful. I would try to drive down a good ways from the entrance, it gets a little more spread out down by the inlet. Bring your surf casting rods if you got'em, the water is starting to warm up and we are starting to catch some fish. If anybody needs any help while they are here, dont hesitate to ask me for it.

Jeff

Jeff, Would zone 11 & 12 be far enough? There is an outhouse there and one further down by the inlet by zones 19 & 20. I'd say its a little over a mile to the further spots, I just want to make sure its easy enough for everyone to find eachother on the crowded beach.

Dustin

I would say go to the farthest set of "Port o johns". When you first get on the beach, its very crowded, but it always gets less crowded the further down. I would imagine on Memorial day weekend it will be quite crowded. If some of you are going to be there Friday or early Saturday, spread out alot of stuff so nobody parks near you, then as others join do the same so you guys have plenty of space.

You cannot drive thru the dunes, all those trails on that map are closed off. You can only drive from the water line up to the dune line.

If one of you guys has a real noticeable truck, it will be easy to spot. Everyone is usually just parked along the water line, side by side, so its very easy to spot someones cruiser. Last weekend only 2 were down there, a 55 and my 40.

Sorry guys, but due to ga$ price$ and tuition co$t$, I'm gonnn have to cancel for this weekend. I'd really love to go, but I need to save the $200 it would cost just for the gas for the weekend, especially since no one else is able to join me to split fuel costs. I hope you all have a great time though!!!! Enjoy!

Ok, lets change the location to Zone 19 and 20, I will be there around 10pm Friday and setup a 10x10 canopy with blue top. I have a white fzj80 with arb and surfboards on top, you cant miss it.
my cell is 843-557-7403
I would say its a little over a mile to zones 19 and beyond.

So who we got? Brock, Charleston+J**p friend, French on Monday maybe, Jeff maybe during the day.
That it? Two FjCs an 80 and a Jeep?

Hate they've closed off the interior. Is it the same at Ft Fisher? Is there nowhere around there to play in the sand? Ah well, I've not been to the beach in a while. And I love Carolina Beach the town.
b

Make that two FJ's and one White 80 and a few hundred jeeps and chevy's. Are you all right with going all the way down to 19 and 20 or would you guys prefer the first outhouse position 11 & 12?

Dustin

If I don't find you at 11/12 I'll look at 19/20. I guess I just look for the outhouses. Or are the markers visible by moonlight?

Changed tires today and washed off some Tellico/URE/Gulches property and a lot of pollen, pecan flowers and mildew. I am loaded and locked. I'll be leaving Greer SC 1730hrs tomorrow with a big smile and an nose for salt air. I'm not sure I've been to the beach since Isobel, when I did a hurricane party on Pleasure Island then hauled away my old Holiday Rambler after the wind died down.
b

Sounds good, we will play it by ear as well and find the best spot. I posted my cell up earlier so if you want to call when you arrive I dont mind.

I have a fire pit that I am bringing but I am very limited on space for wood. If you have any room for wood please bring as much as you can. My truck is already loaded with over 500lbs of crap but we should be very comfortable for three days on the sand. It sure would be nice to have the budget of a Saudi or Kuwaite as they really know how to camp in the sand!

Have a great drive!

No wood here. I could have cut some with some warning. Or gotten some at my (wife's) house in Travelers Rest. If I remember I'll put my chain saw and splitter back in the truck before I leave in a couple of hours. Just got up for water and to pee.
If we have a boat we can run up the ICW to the pirate party and bum some from them. I assume they still do the big party on Masonboro Island.
Also the campground I used to have my RV at by the inlet on the mainland used to have some wood for sale.
If not . . . fire logs from Wal-Mart and charcoal, maybe find some driftwood? Frankly I assumed with all the other rules fire would probably not be a feature.
I wrote down your number. I'll call when I hit NC, that should be about 1.5 hrs out
b

I cant go....wifes mother did her final chemo treatment this week and could not finish it...and had a reaction. i need to stay around area with her so she can check up on her mother for a few days and carry her for bloodwork tomorrow. sorry guys...i hope to make the next event.

No problem Brock, take care of her!

I have some 2x6 that I am stuffing in the car and if I see some for sale on the way up I will pick some more up.

Pirate party sounds fun!

This was great fun, I'm glad I went.
Dustin aka charleston was still waiting up for us so we could find them when we finally got there around midnight Friday night (several delays, another story). That was a good thing because there were LOTs of folks there.
Carolina Beach's Freeman Park (good name) is about a mile or 1.5 mile run of empty beach at the north end of Pleasure Island. This is the tip of Cape Fear at the north side of the mouth of the Cape Fear river, that is about 10 miles SE of Wilmington. It is open (for a $10 fee) for camping. You'll need a 4wd, the sand is VERY soft and deep in places.
On this weekend is was loaded with people, most weekends it's pretty barren I hear. We were camped right on the beach, just a few yards above the high water mark. You can also camp back by the dunes if you want away from the beach. Very cool sleeping right on the beach in your tent or even out on the sand.
Like I said there were lots of folks there; military, collegiates and various assorted rednecks well represented. You saw about every kind of 4wd rig you can imagine from stock Durangos to lifted big-tired J**ps. Much partying, the people watching was a gas.
Dustin and his posse came well prepared with a pavilion, grill and lots of food. We ate well in good company.
Great place for a weekend at the beach; cheap and because of the 4wd requirement somewhat restricted as to who gets out there. The CB police were very present but polite and non-harassing. They just kept a lid on severely obtrusive and unsafe behavior, and minimized obvious underage drunkeness.

Jeri and I were most glad we went and thank c'ston and his krew for an enjoyable and memorable weekend.
b

Driving on the sand was not as bad as I imagined but many folks, even with their 4x4 managed to get stuck right at the entrance. Monday was the worst, when we were leaving, two vehicles were high centered at the entrance with traffic onto the beach backed up for half a mile. I did notice two built older Toyotas, one a mini and the other a 4 runner pulling j**ps out left and right.
It was a pleasure to be able to enjoy the weekend with Bill W and his sidekick. We are looking forward to our next adventure with Upstate Cruisers and the lowcountry posse!

On our way home, we decided to take the Ferry over to Southport which was well worth the extra time.
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom