*********Carolina Beach Memorial Day Weekend 2008******** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dustinryan.com
Carolina Beach in NC has some great sand wheeling and camping too, $10 per night or $40 for a year pass. Fishing and good surfing too.
Here is a google Earth view from space of the beach. Carolina Beach, NC, United States of America - Google Maps
I was there last year and had a great time.

The ramsgate trail south of Kure Beach and Fort Fisher is even bigger and longer but I am not sure about camping there. Here is the view Carolina Beach, NC, United States of America - Google Maps

This idea came up in another camping thread but this new thread will make it an offical event to those who want to attend.

"Hey this sounds like a great idea. Why don't we do it Memorial Day weekend at Carolina Beach? Drive way up the beach, nice fire, Frogmore stew, surf fishing.
One day we can go down to Fort Fisher and drive around, do a little civil war study.
Surfers can surf, wheelers can wheel, loafers can loaf.
Whaddaya say?"-billwright

I, of course, am in.
b

Camping on the beach is permitted but if you do not like sand, there is a state campground 5 minutes away.

May 24-26. I'll probably go down the 23rd. I'll have to take that day off to protect against the dreaded MWD (mandatory work day) that Saturday.

Will anyone else be there?
b

Last edited:
I will be there and bringing a friend with his J**P

K good :cheers: Monday I'll see if I can book a vacation day the Friday to protect the Saturday against MWDs (funny how that acronym has an ominous ring):steer:

K good :cheers: Monday I'll see if I can book a vacation day the Friday to protect the Saturday against MWDs (funny how that acronym has an ominous ring):steer:

I wasn't able to get the Friday off so I'll come down Friday night probably.
My nephew wants to come down from Va Beach with his 4wheeler.

Where to meet?
b

We will be coming down Friday night too, I guess we can drive down the beach a bit and find a place for the night. My cell is 843-557-7403

Dustin

Sounds like another one I can make it to!
I'll bring my surf kayaks.

Cool, there's supposed to be a good little break off Ft Fisher at certain tidal conditions.
Or we can hope for an early 'cane :bounce:

b

The CB pier has great waves, here is one of me last year.
cb.jpg

we definitely dont get those off folly except with mean storms coming through.....

Exactly, the waves are so much better up there and bigger too as the water is deeper. Not so much of a beach break either.

Since we are all arriving at different times I have found a location that should be accessable by everyone and also close to the PortaJohns. This link will take you to the PDF and on the 2nd page is a map of the beach. I think meeting between zones 11-12 would be a good place for Friday as it is only half way down the beach.
http://www.carolinabeach.org/site_new/pages/documents/FreemanPark_001.pdf
File may take a few minutes to download.

Remember to deflate your tires to 15psi or so as the sand is very soft.

Last edited:
Remember to deflate your tires to 15psi or so as the sand is very soft.

X2. I drove in a lot of sand when I lived in Arabia, I have never been in sand as soft and fluffy as N end of Carolina Beach. BTW I'll be taking my Super Swampers off and putting my road tires back on. They are supposed to be a lot better for the sand than mud tires.
Did I understand from the rules link that ATVs are verboten?
b

X2. Did I understand from the rules link that ATVs are verboten?
b

Yes, they dont want people driving all crazy with atv's and in the foliage as that would quickly lead to closing of the beaches to all Motor vehichles. I think we are lucky enough as it is to have Carolina Beach to camp and drive on. I doubt it will last much longer.

I went ahead and sent off my application for the year pass, the $50 is worth it since I plan on going a few more times this year during HC season. That way I can camp for free the rest of the year and spend the savings on gasoline when it reaches $5 a gallon later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom