Cargo Window Gasket Option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man o man once again so much help on this forum, this last bit of information has helped me gather the last of the seals, that I needed.

20170127_181159.jpg

Received today only to wait and dream of the paint one day.

That's awsome, you said he also has the rubber that accepts the chrome trim?

Did you ever try to source the seal that accepts the chrome trim?

Different source but this must be the same gasket but with trim:

I guess it's a relatively cheap experiment to see if it would work.

Last edited:
I continue to research this particular issue. One day I might actually have to pull the glass to see what fits.

If you look at the photos, this gasket looks like it would work for the moulding. Same gasket as I referenced above but perhaps from a different supplier.......not sure about that.

1572808302039.png

B5997E2C-B4E2-497D-9BDE-9623647CAB87.jpeg

Also it seems there are companies that can vulcanize/ hot splice the splices....should one want to explore that option.

@wngrog since you have a beautiful 60 and 55, how close are the windshield and cargo windows in size? Seems like I’ve asked this question before; or maybe I just dreamed that I did.

Looking at photos the moulding looks very similar if not identical so maybe the profiles are the same? The 60 series gasket w/moulding is still available. I assume the 60 series windows are larger but maybe not.

That would be too easy.

also, are you sure the 60 are available?

I’m showing both windshield and cargo available. I haven’t tried to order though.

56121-90A02 windshield gasket w/moulding 1981-1985
62741-90A01 cargo gasket w/moulding

After researching some of the hot splicing services, all you need is to find the right profile and I think you can get something made that looks factory. Obviously the OP and others have done a great job as evidenced in this thread and others. Unfortunately as far as I can tell nobody has tackled the moulding.

Would be great to see the profiles on a 55 and 60 gasket side by side.

Last edited:
So I had forgotten that I asked my son in law to measure the windows on my 55. Just for posterity, if nothing else, I thought I would post them here. I wasn’t specific about where to measure from so he used the chrome as a starting point.

Front windshield height and width:

2CE4ECC4-6C35-4311-9379-32CA6EE2F886.jpeg

13974A9F-6FFC-46CF-BE2D-826F355EF1E4.jpeg

57954B02-7275-48D5-B166-5262AA91B5EF.jpeg

95F5A894-6A76-4C62-A547-2F3D4BF2470C.jpeg

That would be too easy.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you could just use 60 gaskets without modification. It appears that most, or at least many, windshield gaskets are produced by hot splicing/vulcanizing extruded straight lengths with moulded corners. So we need a gasket profile that is the same as the 55, long enough straight runs, and appropriate (or very close) corners. We also need a company with the right equipment to do the cutting and splicing but it appears that isn't as big an issue as I thought it might be.

In studying photos of the 55 and 60 series last night, it looks like you would need 5 60 windshield gaskets to make these three gaskets. The 55 windshield has 4 hard corners and the cargo window has 3 hard corners and one radius corner. The 60 windshield has hard corners at the bottom and radius corners at the top. The 60 cargo windows are all radius corners so probably not too helpful in retrospect. So you need 10 hard corners and 2 radius corners.

So what would one need to make this would work?
  • Verification that the 55 and 60 gasket profiles are the same (No direct evidence but the aftermarket gaskets for both show similar profiles on the instruction sheets)
  • Verification that the 55 windshield and cargo window gasket profiles are the same (seems to be a lot of evidence that they are)
  • Verification that the 60 windshield straight runs are as long or longer than the 55 windshield gaskets (otherwise you need a splice in the straight run and the corner(s)
  • Objective opinion that the 60 windshield top radius corners would work for the radius corner in the 60 cargo window. This will never be perfect but I think it will be fine if it's close. The alternative would be to use one of the 60 cargo window gasket corners; there's four to choose from. Unfortunately that would likely require the investment of a LH and RH 60 cargo window gasket.

Nolen, would be great if you could give me your opinion on the 60 windshield radius corners and how they compare to the one radius corner in the 55 cargo window.

Also if anyone has any old 60 or 55 gaskets laying around I would love to get my hands on at least a piece of them.

Apologies in advance for my obsession with this issue. I'm very busy during the day over here but really have nothing better to do in the evenings during the week.

Apologies in advance for my obsession with this issue.
Have you tried emailing one of the gasket companies to see if they have sharp corners for the bulk rubber they sell?
The Pig gasket profile seem pretty generic and shouldn't be too hard to find a substitute if I guy was truly obsessed....
One of the billion China gasket companies.

Have you tried emailing one of the gasket companies to see if they have sharp corners for the bulk rubber they sell?
The Pig gasket profile seem pretty generic and shouldn't be too hard to find a substitute if I guy was truly obsessed....
One of the billion China gasket companies.

Very good suggestion. Yes I have contacted some about this gasket but the moulding in the profile makes it somewhat unique. Of course it's difficult to have much of a conversation without a sample or a dimensioned profile drawing.

Actually it was the moulding component that steered me toward the 60 gasket. It looks like the same gasket to me from the photos but again, without a side by side comparison it's difficult to say. I don't think there's much advantage functionally to buying components vs chopping up a gasket. Either way you have to assemble the parts. Obviously it's probably much cheaper to just buy what you need but we're only talking a few gaskets. I'm sure it won't put me over my $5k budget for the renovation. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom