cargo truck axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was driving behind a cargo truck looking at that giant axle, and came to wonder why they never been used in 4x4. This might be a stupid question, but why? it looks strong but too heavy and big. But some people are so nuts to change everythings (engine, tires, ..) with monster parts except the axle. it look like it's not gonna break ever. hmmm...

Too heavy and no ground clearance. People that run 14 bolts agree that they are strong, but have terrible ground clearance and often times will shave the bottom of the diff.

The potential strength gained is nothing compared to the clearance lost with a 5 ton axle (taking a guess at what you saw) as well as cost, sourcing, and aftermarket support. Given the relative light weight of these rigs, anything over a 1 ton axle is a waste since a built D60 or 14 bolt can take the applied loads no problem with more clearance than a heavier duty axle. Personally I'd rather build a Fab9 over the more common 1 ton stuff, though if I had time to machine some parts I'd try a winters quick change.

thanks. yup that humongous axle is the answer. it is just too freaking humongous for the fj40. i used to have 74 k5 chevy with gm12bolt, and even that is tiny compared to that :)

unimog axle is HD and gain clearance :)
I forget whos cruiser this is ...got pic from a BC forum....but...i think he's here on mud also:
rob.jpg

1999-6x6fsus.jpg

2.5 ton rockwells are the common swap and the clearance beneatht the axle really is not as bad as you might think.

The problem with swapping axles is that most cruisers still have the offset rear axle. And most "heavy duty" axles have the pumpkin centered.

It all depends on what you want to do .

A GM 12 bolt is not any stronger (if not weaker) than a LC axle.

2.5 ton rockwells are the common swap and the clearance beneatht the axle really is not as bad as you might think.

The problem with swapping axles is that most cruisers still have the offset rear axle. And most "heavy duty" axles have the pumpkin centered.

It all depends on what you want to do .

A GM 12 bolt is not any stronger (if not weaker) than a LC axle.

Do they do rocks under cargo trucks? I'm assuming he meant one of those gargantuan rears with a dropout third positioned like a 9" instead of the inverted third a rock has.

Do they do rocks under cargo trucks? I'm assuming he meant one of those gargantuan rears with a dropout third positioned like a 9" instead of the inverted third a rock has.

Good question.

Don't really have an answer to what the OP considers a "Cargo truck"

:meh:

good thing that you guys asked about the cargo truck def. now i learned from wiki that what i mean is semi-trailer/prime mover/lorry with at least 6ton payload. my kid always call it mack truk.

and boy do that cruiser with unimog axle makes you drool. mine is a dd, seem the portal axle is overkill. that pic makes me dream about that portal, and i found out that somebody sell the unimog axles from 421 w wheels for about usd1250/aud1500. damn i bought the axles from hj62 without wheels for about usd1500/aud1800!! hate it when it happens, it's only a month difference. if only i asked this question 2months ago, things would be a whole lot different!! the uni comes with 6:1 ratio though. o well..

so, where exactly are you located?

jakarta, indonesia. funny i got all my parts from australia though. no wonder you guys have a hardtime getting 12ht.:D the seller told me that he got this parts from aus, japan, and other asian countries, but the best parts usually come from aus, then jap. in the back of my mind, that can't be true... it seems the Aussies push their trucks harder than japanese though. and where do you wheel in japan anyway?

I believe that red FJ 45 belongs to Robb Rutledge from Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom