Cargo Tie Down/Straps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any preference or recommendations as to what type/ brand of straps used to secure luggage/crap on a roof rack. I'll be traveling down south for 1200 to 1300 miles (one way) and I want to make sure that my cargo is secure. I been thinking of using those rachet type of straps. Good or bad idea?
I know that I can use any long sturdy rope and secure it by going over the cargo a few times, but I'm trying to keep things simple by having a quick and easy way to secure it and undo it fairly quickly.

here's a few that I'm looking at:

http://www.explore64.com/explore64/YAK0125/c4/s11/Yakima-Bow-Stern-Tie-Down.html?CP=Sitematch&CMP=KAC-SKU&mv_pc=r141&ATT=112205&GCID=C14967x015&keyword=yakima+tie+down

or

http://www.breakcamp.com/Shopping/products/prod_926.asp

or

http://www.accessconnect.com/tie_downs.htm

Do you have something against the inexpensive ratchet tie down straps that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes? Those straps that you have shown seem kind of pricey and not that much different.

Four pack of ratchet tie straps from Lowes-less than $10.

The ratchet straps are convenient. Be sure to get a variety of lengths. The standard 6' jobs have a purpose but there are times you'll want the 15' lengths.

-B-

I use a lot of ratchet straps for a lot of things. Another one that I like a lot is the "Quickie". It is a rope tie that runs thru a ratchet. You hook the ends and just pull tight. The military loves them. They are made by friends of our family at Quickie Tie-Down at 480-834-9046. There is a web sight but I don't have it handy. They are made for two rope sizes, and the rope can be made in any length. The small ones are great for tent ties after the truck is unloaded. They are incredibly versatile and not expensive. Call Kenny Kingery at the # above for a sample or web site.

I got my ratcheted staps at the evil Wal-mart and think they are fantastic. These were cheap and made in China but are probably more than enough for anything you would have on a roof rack. The ratchets will be better than the cambuckle style for anything with any weight to it.

cambuckle_tiedowns.jpg
ratchet_tiedowns.jpg

I would spurge and get more than you think you need as sometimes it's easier to just add other strap then position them perfectly. Grab one of those "Bucket O' Bungees' and you're set. Of course a grip of Zip ties and a roll of duct tape will really leave you prepared.

Last edited:
Got a set of ratchet tie downs 20 feet in length, pack of 4 for less than $10 bucks at Sam's and they have worked wonderfully. Do wish as Beo mentioned that I had some of different lengths as 20 is just to much for small jobs, all that slack gets in the way. Need a set of about 4 ft. each for my ARB fridge when wheelin.

reffug said:
Got a set of ratchet tie downs 20 feet in length, pack of 4 for less than $10 bucks at Sam's and they have worked wonderfully. Do wish as Beo mentioned that I had some of different lengths as 20 is just to much for small jobs, all that slack gets in the way. Need a set of about 4 ft. each for my ARB fridge when wheelin.

Cut 'n' stitch :)

Brian Macgyver said:
I use a lot of ratchet straps for a lot of things. Another one that I like a lot is the "Quickie". It is a rope tie that runs thru a ratchet. You hook the ends and just pull tight. The military loves them. They are made by friends of our family at Quickie Tie-Down at 480-834-9046. There is a web sight but I don't have it handy. They are made for two rope sizes, and the rope can be made in any length. The small ones are great for tent ties after the truck is unloaded. They are incredibly versatile and not expensive. Call Kenny Kingery at the # above for a sample or web site.

http://www.quickietiedown.com/

Rachets are really handy. Tying rope properly is becoming a lost art. I only use rope for tying up branches for the trash.

slick621 said:
Do you have something against the inexpensive ratchet tie down straps that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes? Those straps that you have shown seem kind of pricey and not that much different.

Slick621,

Nothing against any of them, I just wanted to see what other people are using.

I got these really great 1 ton tie downs at Costco. I think they were called motorcycle tie downs. THe 4 pack was about $20. The webbing is heavy nylon about 1 1/2 inches wide. The ratchet is big and heavy duty. The smaller 1 inch ratchet straps sold everywhere are good too, and much better than rope.

Depending on what you're carrying and you're roof setup, I recommend using a net to cover everything. I got a yakima net (comes with plastic pieces to sure it) and then if needed I would add extra bungee's or tie downs for extra protection.
Never had a problem with that setup and traveled quite a bit.

One of yakima's nets:
loadnetlg.JPG

xrock said:
Depending on what you're carrying and you're roof setup, I recommend using a net to cover everything. I got a yakima net (comes with plastic pieces to sure it) and then if needed I would add extra bungee's or tie downs for extra protection.
Never had a problem with that setup and traveled quite a bit.

One of yakima's nets:
loadnetlg.JPG

Xrock,

The straps are going to be use on Yakima Load Warrior and a the net will be used to secure a tarp (in case of rain). I don't believe the net is strong enough to hold down 150 lbs +- and this is why I was asking about the rachet type of straps.

If you're doing highway or even light trails the net works fine if attached securely. I've tested it many times.

I've even done some Moab trails with it up there (bumpy, but low speed) and it worked just fine.

I don't understand what you would be doing that you would need to "hold it down". Especially if it's in the yakima rack.
What would make it jump up that you would need something stronger to keep it down.

For normal driving, it just has to be secure.

Cam straps also work good. There is a cam on one end and loose strap on the other so you would need 2x the length as a ratchet. Advantages of cam straps are that they are simple, strong, very easy to use, and store better than ratchets. I use them for my boats, lumber, etc. Check out www.nrsweb.com Hope that link works--don't know what I'm doing there.:confused:

xrock said:
If you're doing highway or even light trails the net works fine if attached securely. I've tested it many times.

I've even done some Moab trails with it up there (bumpy, but low speed) and it worked just fine.

I don't understand what you would be doing that you would need to "hold it down". Especially if it's in the yakima rack.
What would make it jump up that you would need something stronger to keep it down.

For normal driving, it just has to be secure.

Xrock,

Thanks again! The road trip will be 99% highway, so nothing out of the ordinary. We have done this trip in past (different vehicle and nothing on the roof) and have seen many stuff fly off the roof of other cars and perhaps this has made me a bit nervous.

CTapia said:
Xrock,

Thanks again! The road trip will be 99% highway, so nothing out of the ordinary. We have done this trip in past (different vehicle and nothing on the roof) and have seen many stuff fly off the roof of other cars and perhaps this has made me a bit nervous.

I know this is a repost. Why bother with nets and straps? 6 cases of duct tape and you're good to go:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom