Cargo Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a family trip coming up and will be spending most of June in northern NM. I have looked at rooftop cargo boxes but don't want to store it or sell it after the trip. I have those Plano storage cases from Academy. I was thinking about stacking 3 of them on a cargo carrier.
The total height of 3 would be around 42". Weight won't be an issue. Do you think it would be ok if I strapped them good and also each one independently? I guess I could also strap one to roof rack but it would be more difficult plus at 85-90mph speeds in west TX it might be more of an issue.

I have a family trip coming up and will be spending most of June in northern NM. I have looked at rooftop cargo boxes but don't want to store it or sell it after the trip. I have those Plano storage cases from Academy. I was thinking about stacking 3 of them on a cargo carrier.
The total height of 3 would be around 42". Weight won't be an issue. Do you think it would be ok if I strapped them good and also each one independently? I guess I could also strap one to roof rack but it would be more difficult plus at 85-90mph speeds in west TX it might be more of an issue.
Are you talking about a hitch carrier?

If so then you will be fine as long as you can fit them all on there. I would not stack anything though.

A hitch carrier is actually more efficient because the space behind the truck is dead air. There is no extra drag as there would be with anything on the roof. The only things to think about are having one with a hitch bar that keeps the platform high enough to keep from scraping. Many have bars that curve up. The other thing is to not stack boxes. It might be ok a for a short distance, but the lateral and medial forces when turning and stopping/starting can be significant and you wouldn't want to lose anything.

Sorry, I missed where you specifically said stacking. I am not sure I would do that.

Are these the ones you are talking about:

Amazon product ASIN B08X6RXSXD
I think I can fit 3 of the 56 qt ones side by side on my hitch carrier.

You could probably fit 6 of the Front Runner Wolfpacks doing 2 stacked, 3 across. They stack in such a way that you wouldn't have to worry about them shaking loose.

Another option would be a good rooftop bag.

I could get three across but I have a 5" lip on my hitch cargo carrier and they would stick out the back. If I stack then they would fit within the carrier.

After a week in UT with 5 people in the 200, I can honestly say the roof cargo boxes are great. Get all of the light and bulky stuff out of the cab.

Look for a used Yakima or Thule on CL or OU in good condition and sell it when you are done.

I could get three across but I have a 5" lip on my hitch cargo carrier and they would stick out the back. If I stack then they would fit within the carrier.
Yeah, I have a few of those. They are 18” high so 54” stacked 3 high. My opinion is that it is not a good idea to stack them. Maybe 2, but I’m not sure I would even do that.

Also, those are not watertight. I added a rubber seal around the lid inside the groove that fits over the lip of the container. It helped but in a heavy rain there may still be a little intrusion.

I am a +1 on a cargo box. I’d loan you mine if you were close. If you can find a used one, you can sell them pretty easily.

Also, you could ship some stuff ahead of time.

I did this for our trip. Did not have much choice on top
As I have a rooftop tent already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom