Cargo box retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
28F05C92-8E47-47DA-B9EF-6457BBCEE0FF.jpeg
Need some advice for a noob... just found this forum and enjoying it!

I’ve been in the market for a used cargo box for awhile. Truck is a 2017 LX570. I came across the one pictured on Facebook being sold used by a neighbor and bought it for $180. It was purchased from the Mercedes dealer and is branded as an OEM Mercedes cargo box. From what I can gather, I believe Thule made these for Mercedes? Anyways... the bolt kit is obviously something insanely German that only fits into the Mercedes cross bars(rectangle plastic pieces that slide into a cross bar railing system and bolt into the box). Current bolt holes on the box are only two inches apart.
How in the world do I make this work? All of the bolt kits I can find come with clamps that are spaced 4 inches apart. Not to mention I doubt I could get a two inch clamp to fit around the oem cross bars (which I have yet to purchase). Any advice would be appreciated!
35E7F873-8C6A-4878-94D6-B4B41D8152E2.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 2401454Need some advice for a noob... just found this forum and enjoying it!

I’ve been in the market for a used cargo box for awhile. Truck is a 2017 LX570. I came across the one pictured on Facebook being sold used by a neighbor and bought it for $180. It was purchased from the Mercedes dealer and is branded as an OEM Mercedes cargo box. From what I can gather, I believe Thule made these for Mercedes? Anyways... the bolt kit is obviously something insanely German that only fits into the Mercedes cross bars(rectangle plastic pieces that slide into a cross bar railing system and bolt into the box). Current bolt holes on the box are only two inches apart.
How in the world do I make this work? All of the bolt kits I can find come with clamps that are spaced 4 inches apart. Not to mention I doubt I could get a two inch clamp to fit around the oem cross bars (which I have yet to purchase). Any advice would be appreciated!
Maybe post a pic of the bracket and bottom of box? Assuming you do find oem crossbars Yakima mighty Mount 23h is the part. It leaves you with a vertical bolt, which you can put through the existing hole, repeat at each corner. If you want to use u bolt style clamps, you’ll need to drill an additional hole spaced apart the u bolt span.

Maybe post a pic of the bracket and bottom of box? Assuming you do find oem crossbars Yakima mighty Mount 23h is the part. It leaves you with a vertical bolt, which you can put through the existing hole, repeat at each corner. If you want to use u bolt style clamps, you’ll need to drill an additional hole spaced apart the u bolt span.

Great idea- I don’t have brackets with me at the moment... but pic with blue tape is the bottom of the box with a width of two inches between the two holes. You can maybe see in the pic, but these pieces do slide about 6 inches or so. Other pic is of the inside of the box.

0DE4709B-94FA-4737-92B0-4E66DB3AA9EC.jpeg

345A7D8B-3319-4759-82D8-E6DAFBC01F5E.jpeg

Personally I’d go with the 23h or generic clamp mighty mount, a long enough 5/16 “ carriage bolt, a massive washer inside the cargo box, and Tighten it n down. There will,be some fit issues with the recessed rails but it should be fine.

I would list that thing "as is" on ebay motors and sell it. Some MB enthusiast with a long roof slammed diesel would pay top dollar for it.

I think it will more trouble than it's worth to find all of the hardware you will need to secure it.

I have the remains of a Thule box (wife tried to drive a 4Runner with it on top into the garage and shattered part of the top). I'm a pack rat, so I saved it. The mounts are all good. Are these the ones you had?

15B22B5D-AB29-41ED-9B54-F749797CEE76.jpeg

D937E05A-E949-4B39-91CC-D8F9F1474ECB.jpeg

ps. Garages and rooftop boxes can be a bad combo:
792B3542-FFA2-47B9-B7B5-ED40403026F0.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the remains of a Thule box (wife tried to drive a 4Runner with it on top into the garage and shattered part of the top). I'm a pack rat, so I saved it. The mounts are all good. Are these the ones you had?

View attachment 2401668
View attachment 2401669

ps. Garages and rooftop boxes can be a bad combo:
View attachment 2401670

No- the ones that came with it are different. Yours look like the ones that I would need, assuming that those tightening nobs bring the “claws” closer together to clamp onto the rack?

PS- Sorry to hear about the demise of your Thule... I have serious concerns of doing that!

Yes, tightening the knob closes the claws. It's designed to work with virtually any crossbar shape. I can confirm it works great with factory Landcruiser and 4Runner crossbars. We replaced it with the same exact box...

Yes, tightening the knob closes the claws. It's designed to work with virtually any crossbar shape. I can confirm it works great with factory Landcruiser and 4Runner crossbars. We replaced it with the same exact box...
Any chance you’d be willing to sell? I confirmed that mine snap off, just leaving the skinny Rectangular opening for a replacement to be able to fit in and slide up and down to adjust.

Any chance you’d be willing to sell? I confirmed that mine snap off, just leaving the skinny Rectangular opening for a replacement to be able to fit in and slide up and down to adjust.

you could also get some u-bolts to go around crossbar, or drill straight through crossbar and bolt it up with oversized washers. I did something similar since I wanted to utilize my load panels:

Yup, drop me an IM and we can work out the details. I need to see how to remove them...

I took one off before the 70000000 degree temps in my garage attic drove me off. There is one screw holding it all in. Take that off and it comes right apart.

00C6B509-6F18-4635-87DA-908B534310EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom