Careless Desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, well I'm not sure if it was an effect of replacing my smog pump with a pulley but my 86' is not running so hot or more specific the idle is to low-stalls out, and it diesels, well it always dieseled but I'm curious if there are things one should be aware of before you pull a smog pump. Note I still have the original carb- so I'm guessing I'm only halfway de-smogged. Perhaps I created some issues? Wanted some input thanks.

Removing the smog pump will not effect the idle speed in a detrimental way. If anything, the idle could increase a tiny bit due to reduced friction.

It just parasitic drag.

Is your Idle Control Solenoid functioning ?

desmog is kind of all or nothing to get things running right...and two parts of that are getting the carb rebuilt and the dist recurved...then of course all the smog stuff getting removed/plugged...etc.

Post a photo of your setup, then we can help. Follow any of the desmog threads here?

Hmmm.... 1st post 3 days ago and hasn't been back since ... Guess it's not that big an issue. :kiss:

Is getting the carb rebuilt and dist recurred a must or can one be happy without that step? Or this something I will say I should have done years ago if in fact I wait years to do.

it can work without having those two things done but the engine will not run optimally. I have been running for 3yrs with the engine desmogged and have not had the dizzy recurved nor the carb rebuilt for this as I had always planned on doing an engine swap but with the recent happenings for me it looks like I will be spending that money to get those items taken care of later this year (when there isnt snow on the ground).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom