Builds Cardoza's '05 GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks possibly just a little bit higher in the front to me but mine has quite a bit of rake. Get another pic in some good lighting and it'll tell the tale. Mine is 21" fenderlip to center of hub on the fronts and 23.5" in the back. Basically a thumb's length and I may move up to the 3rd perch for .84" more to level it out some aesthetically.

Yeah, working on getting some good pics. We had some crazy weather come through last night so options have been limited. Actually had to jump a couple of curbs this morning to get around some standing water that wasn't clear how deep it was (should have just driven through it). Good break in for the lift though!

Here's a shot in better light.

28003127068_30233d5f1c_b.jpg

My new 884s on 5100s (lowest rung) settled about .25" on my Tacoma after a week or so.

Front lift and wheels/tires are ON! I wish that I could say that it was easy, but my front suspension install attempt ended with a tow to a local shop to have them do it. My spring compressors were not sufficient to get the OME springs compressed enough to get on the 5100s. Anyway, I'm relatively local to 4WheelParts so I took it to them and they got it in and out in half a day. Picked it up today and mounted the wheels/tires as soon as I got it home (despite tornadoes bearing down on us), and I'm very happy. I think the running boards need to be removed, because it's rubbing slightly and my wife does not like that haha. Quick pic, I'll get some more once these storms have passed.

41857347021_3549e044f5_b.jpg
If theirs a next time research the no spring compesor method, it's really super easy. I have replaced replaces shocks and springs on three 120 series 4runners and can get it done in about 1hr per side! I knew your GX looked pretty familiar, I have seen you driving around OKC!

Last edited:
Looks great! and a killer deal for the GX470. I am going to run almost the exact same setup on my 06 GX470, except Icon 3" overland springs for the back coils. Is there anyway you can share how much lift you are measuring in the front on the second perch, even an estimate. This would save me a lot of time, there is not a lot of great data for the GX on he web, because I am debating between the second and third perch on the Bilstein 5100s with the OME 2884's up front. Basically Bilstein 5100's all four, Icon 3" overland springs in the back. And OME 2884 up front. Just conflicted on whether two set it at the second or third perch to achieve a 2.5-3.00" lift in the front on my GX. I also ordered JBA HD A arms, Thanks for posting this thread I will share mine, with before and after pic when complete.

Looks great! and a killer deal for the GX470. I am going to run almost the exact same setup on my 06 GX470, except Icon 3" overland springs for the back coils. Is there anyway you can share how much lift you are measuring in the front on the second perch, even an estimate. This would save me a lot of time, there is not a lot of great data for the GX on he web, because I am debating between the second and third perch on the Bilstein 5100s with the OME 2884's up front. Basically Bilstein 5100's all four, Icon 3" overland springs in the back. And OME 2884 up front. Just conflicted on whether two set it at the second or third perch to achieve a 2.5-3.00" lift in the front on my GX. I also ordered JBA HD A arms, Thanks for posting this thread I will share mine, with before and after pic when complete.

I'll get you a measurement this evening. For what it's worth, ARB instructed that the second perch is the highest that they would go on the 5100s in order to retain decent ride quality.

I've noticed that when taking an uphill right hand turn at about 15 MPH in my parking garage that the traction control light blinks and beeps. Is this common to have low speed traction control issues while turning?

The VSC uses the anti-lock braking system to try and straighten a perceived slide. The VSC system uses all kinds of sensors to accomplish this. Yaw sensors in the front suspension, speed sensors at each wheel, an inclinometer and accelerometer. It also looks at speed, and if the brakes are being applied. When you are in a slide, this system works amazingly well, especially in the snow or ice. I have heard of someone who had the dealer do a zero point calibration at that time of install to prevent this, not sure if this is true. Personally it would not bother me, it just means it's still working and will be disengaged when you go in to 4 Low anyhow. Also when you have time could you share the height you achieved in the front, as I am installing my lift tomorrow.

Some have also suggested disconnecting their battery for a bit, and re-connecting it might recalibrate, also not sure if this is true.

The VSC uses the anti-lock braking system to try and straighten a perceived slide. The VSC system uses all kinds of sensors to accomplish this. Yaw sensors in the front suspension, speed sensors at each wheel, an inclinometer and accelerometer. It also looks at speed, and if the brakes are being applied. When you are in a slide, this system works amazingly well, especially in the snow or ice. I have heard of someone who had the dealer do a zero point calibration at that time of install to prevent this, not sure if this is true. Personally it would not bother me, it just means it's still working and will be disengaged when you go in to 4 Low anyhow. Also when you have time could you share the height you achieved in the front, as I am installing my lift tomorrow.

Hey GX, thanks for the info.

The hub-to-fender height in the front is 24" and rear is 24.5". Hope that helps!

Haven't done much to the GX recently, just been enjoying driving it. I got tired of the small amount of rubbing I've been experiencing up front, so I decided to trim the front bumper. Does anyone know how to remove these "wings" that are attached to the bumper support? They hang below the cut bumper and I have not noticed them in any other build where someone has cut the bumper.

Pic for reference. This is NOT my car, it was just the best example I could find where you can see the "wings".

eQY0cso.jpg

I still have mine on there as well after trimming the plastic. I need to get a grinder or reciprocating saw and cut them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom