Cardan shaft vibration (rear) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
Say I have 2" from 3" list on my LX450

from day one I experience vibration so I adjusted front shaft position with double yoke and that is done deal.
my rear was bothering a bit but not so much now I see more vibration on the rear as U-join start falling apart , so I like to do this right , look at the picture and tell me which configuration I need to use A or B?

TY

cardan.jpg

Exactly what springs do you have? We will pretend you have a 2.5” lift. At this height no double cardans should be needed.

At 3”-3.5” you may experience the need for a DC front shaft but not rear. This vary’s from 80 to 80.

What exact springs do you have?

Was appropriate castor correction done?

How is your wheel alignment?

Wheel bearing all tight?

Have you replaced the U-joints in your drive shafts?

Have you had your shafts inspected for warn slip joints and balanced?

Are your shafts otherwise damaged in any way?

Does your rig have a center diff lock (cdl) switch button installed on the dash?

Reactions: RFB
Exactly what springs do you have? We will pretend you have a 2.5” lift. At this height no double cardans should be needed.

At 3”-3.5” you may experience the need for a DC front shaft but not rear. This vary’s from 80 to 80.

What exact springs do you have? I have TGM 2" from and rear , from have ARB bar adds weight rear have 1" extra spacer

Was appropriate castor correction done? corrected with TGM bushings

How is your wheel alignment? off a bit on castor like 1.5*

Wheel bearing all tight? yes

Have you replaced the U-joints in your drive shafts? NO

Have you had your shafts inspected for warn slip joints and balanced? front only not or rear

Are your shafts otherwise damaged in any way? no

Does your rig have a center diff lock (cdl) switch button installed on the dash? yes

Perhaps taking your rear driveline to a GOOD shop to have it checked out would be a starting point.

With 2” springs plus a 1” spacer you may have more than 3” of lift unless you have a heavy rear bumper and other accessories. So, you or your shop should measure the transfer case and out and differential in flange angles. They should be within 1-2 degrees of each other. If they are not, then you will be to adjust pinion angle with adjustable upper rear control arms.

You can remove one shaft at a time and lock the center diff with the switch so you can test drive to determine which shaft is the problem.

Perhaps taking your rear driveline to a GOOD shop to have it checked out would be a starting point.

With 2” springs plus a 1” spacer you may have more than 3” of lift unless you have a heavy rear bumper and other accessories. So, you or your shop should measure the transfer case and out and differential in flange angles. They should be within 1-2 degrees of each other. If they are not, then you will be to adjust pinion angle with adjustable upper rear control arms.

You can remove one shaft at a time and lock the center diff with the switch so you can test drive to determine which shaft is the problem.
ok, good advice about central lock will start from there.

You have drawn up 3 good set ups. If a shaft is in good shape and balaced in all 3 cases it should be smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom