Carburetor Spacer and Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having some serious issues with idle, and was in the process of installing a carb from my friend GA Architect. Noticed that the bottom of the carb, the gasket, and the spacer don't seem to add up.

My carb (and Rick's) have the third smaller hole on the bottom. The spacer only has the two holes, and the gasket doesn't isolate any of the holes. Before I reinstall everything, could this be causing some idle issues or does this work. Any advice is appreciated!

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

I might have one for you- i will check my parts and send you a pm tomorrow (i am local to marietta)

That hole dead-ends on my two '75 USA Aisan carbs - I'm pretty sure that it is for the power valve (enrichment of main circuit at low manifold vac) that is done externally thru the air horn barb.

I'm going to guess that yours is the made in Japan aftermarket carb.

If you look down the bore of that '3rd' hole, you will see it is drilled in the side to the primary side. It pulls vacuum from the primary without need of a separate hole through the insulator.

What @Dizzy said is true for the 2F Cali-spec carbs 75-78. They got their vacuum through a port which came out the front of the air horn.

I believe that's a plenum gasket you have sitting on top of the insulator (spacer) which should go under the insulator. The base gasket that goes between the carb and insulator has two round holes.

The proper gasket is $5.00 from Cruiser Outfitters.

The last time I checked, they were offering a Kevlar gasket, which is an inferior material for that application. I stock the correct gasket: PN 052-91B

Last edited:
The last time I checked, they were offering a Kevlar gasket, which is an inferior material for that application. I stock the correct gasket: PN 052-91B

There are literally thousands of these gaskets on trucks around the world, perhaps more. I’ve never heard of anyone considering them inferior or reporting an issue with them in the few decades. Can you detail what the correct material is?

Kurt

Im sorry I don’t know the composition of the OE material. It is the same material I have seen in carb kits consistently since the ‘80s. Which isn’t to say that there wasn’t something different before that.

Kevlar is widely known for its ability to withstand heat. But other than that, it’s drawbacks include no compression, becoming quickly brittle, and poor ability to withstand contacti with any kind of moisture.

Kurt

Im sorry I don’t know the composition of the OE material. It is the same material I have seen in carb kits consistently since the ‘80s. Which isn’t to say that there wasn’t something different before that.

Kevlar is widely known for its ability to withstand heat. But other than that, it’s drawbacks include no compression, becoming quickly brittle, and poor ability to withstand contacti with any kind of moisture.

I’ll have to double check but I’m pretty confident our gaskets are and always have been a standard paper gasket material. We’ve never advertised nor spec’d them as Kevlar. Given we’ve never had a single complaint about their ability to handle compression, becoming brittle or moisture... why change? That said I’m confident that even if they are a Kevlar paper material, it’s a non-issue given the thousand sold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom