Carburetor rebuild kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read in the faq about a carburetor rebuild by one of the members of this group. He mentioned a rebuild kit he purchased that contained all the parts such as the secondary diaphram and other parts that are not available in the $25 auto shop kits. I am looking to purchase one of these good kits. Does anyone know where they can be purchased? This will be for an April 79 fj40.

Thanks
Tim

Yes Jim C is the person who had the kit in the faq. How can I get in touch with Jim C? I purchased a kit from Advance Auto which is lacking parts I need for a complete rebuild, namely the secondary diaphram. My diaphram is busted and rusted...I might just need to look into getting a better diaphram housing.

You dont want to see pictures on my rig yet, it's still to rough. Give me a few months then I will be bragging.

Tim

Yes Jim C is the person who had the kit in the faq. How can I get in touch with Jim C? I purchased a kit from Advance Auto which is lacking parts I need for a complete rebuild, namely the secondary diaphram. My diaphram is busted and rusted...I might just need to look into getting a better diaphram housing.

You dont want to see pictures on my rig yet, it's still to rough. Give me a few months then I will be bragging.

Tim

(740) 862-2604 or fj40jim@aol.com

It may a take a couple days to get a reply from him as he is very busy.

You can buy the secondary diaphram from NAPA. I looked it up on NAPAONLINE and took the part number to the store. They ordered it for me.

So how much is Jim C. charging for a full rebuild. My Pig hasn't run in who knows how long and I don't know the condition of my carb. So I thought before I go tearing into it I'd ask the question since I see a lot of good comments about Jim C's work.

Zach

Shoot Jim C a pm and get it straight from the horses mouth instead of a bunch of guessing.......

So how much is Jim C. charging for a full rebuild. My Pig hasn't run in who knows how long and I don't know the condition of my carb. So I thought before I go tearing into it I'd ask the question since I see a lot of good comments about Jim C's work.

Zach

$300 or so, but he will have to quote it for you. I've had him do 3 for me. Money well spent.

Ouch I don't have funds like that right now. I just bought a newish/used motor for that. I bought a over the counter auto parts rebuild kit I know it doesn't have everything from what I've been reading what is left out that I need? Part #s?

Most aftermarket rebuild kits only supply a new needle/seat and basic gaskets..... what else do you need?

If you are going to do it yourself, then buy a gallon container of carb dip and soak all the components for at least 4 hours, then rinse well and blow dry with a compressor paying attention to the internal passages. Obviously, you should wear nitrile gloves and preferably a face shield or safety glasses at a minimum. It will take a couple of dips to do all the carb components.

Do the rebuild yourself it is not hard, bsevans has it right buy a gallon of carb cleaner form NAPA and let it soak. I have rebuilt several carbs, use the spray carb cleaner for the initial degrease then disassemble and put the halves in the 1 gal. carb cleaner can. Cruiser Outfitters sells carb kits for around $25.00, I have used kits form NAPA and found that they don't always have everything I need, oh and make sure you have a FSM it will be most helpful.

Corey M.

Cruiser Outfitters/Napa

Cruiser Outfitters sells carb kits for around $25.00, I have used kits form NAPA and found that they don't always have everything I need,

Corey M.

So whats lacking in the NAPA kit??:confused:

I think it was the low speed jets, also the accelerator pump and gaskets were not of very good quilty. The kit to get is one made by Keyster, but you must use your FSM as this kit does not come with the IPB of the carb. I would stay away from CCOT as there kits are about $25.00 overpriced, I have found some on e-bay and have used cruiser outfitters as well.

Later,

Corey:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom