Carburetor Rebuild Company (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I recently rebuilt my FJ carburetor (mostly gaskets etc.) and found my secondary butterfly sticks. I am wondering if anybody can suggest a reputable company that can rebuild my carburetor for my 77 FJ40?

Thanks in Advance

Mike
MN77FJ40

Mark A. (65swb45) of www.marksoffroad.net in Burbank, CA. (best to call him 818-953-9230)

JimC (FJ40Jim) in Lancaster, OH TLCperformance.com (contact info on his page).

Those are the only two I'd go to for rebuilding these carbs. Both are considered Land Cruiser Carb gurus and are VERY reputable.

The other link provided above is for a new, aftermarket Aisan-copy carb sold by MUD vendor, Trollhole.

I should also add, that if your truck is subject to smog inspections, the Trollhole carb is the non-USA version without any provisions for smog, so you can not use it.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I recently rebuilt my FJ carburetor (mostly gaskets etc.) and found my secondary butterfly sticks. I am wondering if anybody can suggest a reputable company that can rebuild my carburetor for my 77 FJ40?

Thanks in Advance

Mike
MN77FJ40

Did you replace the secondary throttle diaphragm as part of the rebuild?

In that case, you should check two things before you send it out anywhere. 1. Make sure the spring inside the diaphram housing is properly installed (I rebuilt a carb in just the last month that had the spring on the wrong side of the diaphram)
2. Check that the butterfly itself is properly centered in the bore. Sometimes, if the butterfly is open while the carb is off the vehicle, it can get bumped and knocked off center. If you loosen the mounting screws SLIGHTLY (and I mean very slightly)just enough to wiggle the plate with a little effort, you can re-true it to close properly and evenly, which greatly reduces the chance that it will stick.

Best

Mark

P.S. If you do decide to send it to me, please do not PM me. 818-953-9230

X2 on Mark's off road with quick turnaround time.

Just sent my 1979 carb off to him, shipping both ways plus the rebuild time was less than 3 weeks total. The carb looks great and is going back on my 40 next week, can't wait!

when you say that the secondary "sticks", what do you mean?
Does it not open or do you know that the butterfly itself sticks?
It's not unusual to follow the FSM instructions and find that the secondary does not open.
It often takes a little more "kick up" to get the vacuum secondary to operate.
There are a couple threads on this problem on mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom