Carburetor Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will a 1974 F carburetor work on a 1979 2F motor. I was wondering if the jetting would work? or would the 2F run lean?

Thanks,

Vince

Should not be a problem....been there, done that.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Steve. I will post with results.

Vince

Pyro-boy said:
Will a 1974 F carburetor work on a 1979 2F motor. I was wondering if the jetting would work? or would the 2F run lean?
Thanks,
Vince
Vince,
Sort of. The 74 carb has fuel feed and return lines, 79 engine is not eguipped w/ such. You can install the 78 fuel pump and the 74 lines to make it all fit together. Obviously the air cleaners are different. The 74 air cleaner will not clear a PS pump mounted up high. 74 carb will not have a vac advance fitting to supply ported vac to the vac advance '79 distributor. 74 carb has single wire idle solenoid, 79 vehicle is wired for 2 wire ICS.
Yadda, yadda...

If you're in Cuba and it's all you've got, then the 74 can be made to work, but it is sub optimal.
:cheers:

Thanks for the input Jim. What year carburetor would you recommend? I am currently running a weber that came on the cruiser. The weber seems to be running a bit rich (cruiser came from Texas and is now in NM at about 6000') so I was hoping to get a Aisan carburetor to address this problem.

Vince

For your '79 truck, a 01/79-7/80 would be ideal. It will have HAC ports for reinstalling the HAC valve. The fuel cut port will be there, if you can find a fuel cut vac switch to connect it to. And the air cleaner, throttle linkage, fuel lines, etc, will all hook up as normal. All these things will help it run better (less stinky), especially at your altitude

I forgot to add that the engine is in a 1973 FJ 40. All the emisions have been removed.

Vince

Oh, well....
In that case I would recommend keeping it simple. Just dress the 2F engine to look like a desmogged '73 F engine. 38/38 Aisan, stock air cleaner, early points vac advance distributor w/ pertronix dropped in.

aight jim, another question/hijack

i have a desmogged 84ish 2F out of an fj60 in my 72 fj40...and i live in SC, so no emissions.

it has a holley 2brl on it now, but i would like to go back to an aisin

what years should i try and find to send to you as a core for a rebuild?
(if i need to PM or email this to you due to some forum rules, let me know)

jonathan

Pyro-boy:

Do you have a '74 Aisin to get rid of? I might want it. PM me if you're selling.

Nord

Jim, what about a non-usa carb. Would this alow me to use a stock air cleaner and not worry about my missing emisions stuff?

Thanks,
Vince

malph, I believe the best years are (not sure of exact months) 75-76 for performance from an asian. I just had mine rebuilt by Mark's offroad, he's a great guy and he did an excellent job on the carb.

jp

Pyro-boy said:
Jim, what about a non-usa carb. Would this alow me to use a stock air cleaner and not worry about my missing emisions stuff?
Vince,
Yes, a non-US carb will work. The only important difference between 1973 US carb and non-US carb is a ported vacuum fitting for use w/ an earlier or later vac advance distributor. The ported vac fitting is added to every US F carb when I rebuild it, which renders that point moot.

brian said:
so a 75 carb can be "made" to run on a de-smogged 77 2F?
i have a weber, that i would like to replace.
tell me more...

Basically, any year of Cruiser carb can be "made" to bolt to any Cruiser engine. It sometimes takes 2 carbs to build one bionic carb that combines, say the cable throttle of a 70-72 F carb w/ the vac secondary of a '84 FJ60

In your case, it's pretty easy. Your '77 truck has the mechanical throttle linkage, same as any other 74-end FJ40. And dual fuel lines, sames as any 75-78 carb. So any 75-78 carb will bolt on. It's a simple matter to desmog and recalibrate for "non-US" operation during the rebuild.

HTH :)

Pyro-Boy: If you don't want to hang on to the 74 carb, let me know, because I need to get rid of the Rochester I'm running, and (eventually) return the intake to stock. Thanks!

Vince,
Yes, a non-US carb will work. The only important difference between 1973 US carb and non-US carb is a ported vacuum fitting for use w/ an earlier or later vac advance distributor. The ported vac fitting is added to every US F carb when I rebuild it, which renders that point moot.
Just converted 84 2f into 74 with F. Which carb would you recomend the stock 74 or a Holley.

Jim I have a D-40 Aisin Carb on my 67' it seems to have a "dead" spot where it makes my engine sputter when I barely have the pedal pressed. It's only in that one spot that it makes my engine miss. Do you have any ideas about what it may be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom