Carburetor Blower rebuild experience was successful. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My blower would not start with out some assistance, a thump on the fender. Having failed to develop the habit of thumping the fender I decide to take the thing apart and see what could be done.

To remove the blower you must first remove the hood spring, which is not under much tension with the hood up so it isn't hard to take off or reinstall.

As for the blower three of the bolts need to be removed but the lower forward bolt can just be loosen because the blower bracket is notched for that bolt.

Once the blower is off removing the impeller from the motor shaft is easy just backing off the small nut.

The motor itself is easy to disassemble by prying off the rubber seal and removing the screws holding it together.

Grasping the shaft with your hand you can pull out the rotor. Do not pull of the cover first or you might loose the brush springs. With the rotor out you can carefully remove the cover from the rotor and catch the brush springs.

My motor was full of a gray sludge some of it was somewhat granular. I cleaned the sludge out and cleaned the bearing and shaft and brushes.

I greased the bearings with a PTFE bicycle grease, which is what I had handy, so it may not be the proper product. Be careful not to get any grease on the brushes or the rotor contacts.

I lubricated the brushes with WD40, again that was what I had handy, not necessarily the best product.

I tied the brushes back with some copper wire to aid in reassembly.

Reassembly was straight forward.

The motor is now starting regularly and seems to run more briskly than before.

The bearings are quite.

I suspect my brushes are not going to last however but I have no idea where to get replacements.

Nice! This project is going to be in my future too as my fan is sluggish. Not too big of a deal since I have a 62, but I would like it to work better and not make so much noise.

There are new USA- Made motors on ebay for $25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom