Carburator screws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1979 FJ 40
20210802_193146.jpg
I am looking for the screws that hold the choke plate to the shaft. Does anyone know what "size" they(two of them) are? Also where can I find them to purchase?
I know...it was a dumb move!

I was directed to this site. You have to hunt, but it might be on here. (The ones on the link are to hold the body together)

Not sure about screws used in Toyota carbs but working on other USA carbs butterfly screws were brass and staked on the opposite side of the head to keep them from falling into the engine if they came loose.

Some year’s back, @thebigredrocker directed me to McMaster Carr, a place I’ve bought other hardware from, but never thought about the brass screws. They had them. 😊

Not sure about screws used in Toyota carbs but working on other USA carbs butterfly screws were brass and staked on the opposite side of the head to keep them from falling into the engine if they came loose.
Same on this car
Some year’s back, @thebigredrocker directed me to McMaster Carr, a place I’ve bought other hardware from, but never thought about the brass screws. They had them. 😊
Thanks. I hope I find them soon.

I have a pile of metric brass screws from McMaster-Carr that I bought for an OEM carb throttle plate. How many do you need? Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you some. The minimum order was 50 screws.

I went through this recently too. Snapped a couple on the throttle plate and choke plate. I drilled and tapped them all out and replaced with the same size from McMaster Carr. In another thread, it said length was 5mm, but you`ll actually need 6mm length to be able to stake them correctly.

I went through this recently too. Snapped a couple on the throttle plate and choke plate. I drilled and tapped them all out and replaced with the same size from McMaster Carr. In another thread, it said length was 5mm, but you`ll actually need 6mm length to be able to stake them correctly.
Good information thanks

Also, when you stake them, they need support from the back side or else you can bend the shaft. damhik!

That is an excellent point I had forgotten to mention! Someone mailed me their disassembled carburetor last year, along with the 5mm screws they had already purchased before deciding to delegate the job. I tried their screws and wasn’t comfortable with them for the same reason, so pulled the longer ones out of my box.😉

I leave them in. Almost Never a reason to remove them on normal RB. On most carbs playing with fire taking them out . High risk of damaging things that only need to be cleaned.

Totally true. I've only removed them on carbs that were totally seized up or that I needed the parts off of.

I bought a small batch of them from ebay last fall but the seller is no longer valid so I can't share the link. They were M3 slotted brass pan head screws. They fit perfectly. I probably still have a couple I can send to you if you want.

I bought a small batch of them from ebay last fall but the seller is no longer valid so I can't share the link. They were M3 slotted brass pan head screws. They fit perfectly. I probably still have a couple I can send to you if you want.
4Cruisers put a few in the mail for me already. Much appreciated!

Do you remember what size screw you needed for the choke plate? The ones I received are too big thick by just a thread.

I recall M3 from another thread, but don't remember the length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom