Carburator / Manifold / Head Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Big applause for your write up with pictures. I just have one, no....two things to contribute. I run a de smuggled 2F in my pickup, and blew the head gasket in 2017 right behind the thermostat housing....Anyone who has ridden with me on the 880 or 580 knows I am at full throttle just about all the time with my ‘72 carb. Anyway, I previously had two (2) aluminum Champion radiators crack at the same spot, just below the top tank on the driver side. Yes, I have a refinished rad support with bushings. Eventually I paid up, and got a fantastic brass radiator from @65swb45 and remain a believer in brass. Secondly, I notice my 2F does better to be driven with the heater valve slightly open to avoid a hot spot at the #5 cylinder top; valve clattering stops and improved combustion can be heard. Hope to see you on the road, or off after the 2nd or third mutation of Covid19 is over. Cheers bruddah

Thank you for your comments. This is now my second champion radiator. The first started leaking but I am not sure where. Coolant was puddled in the middle of the grill on the bottom. I did try with brass but just could not get it to cool right. I have now gone through everything so who knows maybe the brass radiation would be fine. I have to take it to get flow tested to see if it indeed has a problem or not. My last champion lasted about 5 yearsish so I hope this one does as well. Got the real shakedown done today and everything is running perfect. Hope to see you out on the highways or the trails!

Found a used smog pump on fleabay and ordered that. Once it arrives, I will send it out for a rebuild. It will become my trail spare unless I fail smog in the future or my current one decides to grenade. Not sure how hard they are to change in the field... I hope I don't find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom