Carbon dust in distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NicksFJ40

Doesn’t read post longer than two paragraphs.
Threads
Any thoughts on the carbon looking dust inside the distributor? Are the seals going bad?

Thank you
Nick

009ADFBD-C8F9-474A-8CD8-36A97C80BBD5.jpeg

0832BB19-4910-4259-999E-7B1A483685FC.jpeg

7C16F36F-B37F-4F32-AFE4-721F003BECD2.jpeg

Was the vehicle running in this condition ? Looks like the bearings may be bad and the rotor was eating something.

Can't believe this rig was actually running--but then again, they are pretty tough---was the dizzy cap on tight and set in the notches properly? almost looks like the cap was not seated and cocked a little--that could cause the carbon you are seeing(esp the burnt rotor on one side)--There does not appear to be any oiling on the plate, so leaking oil through the dizzy seal is not indicated--what yr/engine?

Starts and runs but then sputters and stalls once I get on the road. Trying to track down the problem. So it’s not sealing here?

2438E721-8D13-43A0-A311-533303529936.jpeg

If it were an aircraft, I'd assume you were flying above 20,000 feet at 400 knots or so.

Carbon tracking was a "thing" with the high performance piston aircraft of WWII and immediately thereafter until they started pressurizing magnetos.

Also a thing in space craft, which is why they don't allow any graphite on board.

In an LC, unless you were above 20,000 feet or in space, I got nuthin'....

Wonder if it’s engine blowby? Don’t know if that can get up the dizzy shaft or not. PCV working?

Ha ha, I do live at 8k feet. It doesn’t have too many road miles since I’ve been restoring and painting. I just got it together and have been road testing.

In an LC, unless you were above 20,000 feet or in space, I got nuthin'..
"Hold my beer, and joint"
~Elon Musk

I’ll check out the PCV. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Yup, where the corresponding round cutouts in the cap line up with the dirt marks on the distributor rim. It might be the wrong style cap.
Aren’t there 2 sizes of small caps that are pretty close? Looks like you may have the slightly smaller cap on the slightly larger distributor?

I fired up the 40 today and noticed the dizzy wobbles, so I’m guessing the bearing inside is worn out. You can see in this pic where the plate screw had been getting hit. I can’t figure out how to up load the video, sorry.

9B85E834-50E8-417B-A92E-576916B93C32.jpeg

1EEC3705-80E9-428E-BEB9-F07CC07B2B45.jpeg

I fired up the 40 today and noticed the dizzy wobbles, so I’m guessing the bearing inside is worn out. You can see in this pic where the plate screw had been getting hit. I can’t figure out how to up load the video, sorry.

View attachment 2968896

View attachment 2968897
If you have 'wobble' on the dizzy shaft, that could potentially cause the excess carbon in the cap, as the rotor would wobble as well --FJC-man and Skreddy have some good points---there does not appear to be oiling in the dizzy(there is no pressurized oil feed to that shaft , that I know of. just an 'o' ring. There may be some wear on the dizzy shaft at the gear/oil pump slot that is contributing to the issue. Would pull the dizzy out and mic the bearing surfaces, check the bottom slot into the oil pump as well for wear--The condition of this dizzy is such that it may need replacement--what yr 40? What engine?--F /2f?

I pulled the dizzy, there doesn’t seem to be any type of abnormal ware or oil in the dizzy. It now has a newly rebuilt 2F, after talking to a Toyota mechanic friend, he thinks the cam shaft thrust is excessive.

I pulled the dizzy, there doesn’t seem to be any type of abnormal ware or oil in the dizzy. It now has a newly rebuilt 2F, after talking to a Toyota mechanic friend, he thinks the cam shaft thrust is excessive.
Did you measure the cap and where it seats? I don’t see how the cam moving forward and aft too much is going to cause those witness marks (or the crud buildup). Is there excessive metal in the oil? Did you pull the timing cover and cam gear to inspect for excessive thrust? Check through distributor hole?

I’ll measure the cap but it seems to fit properly. I haven’t inspect the thrust plate yet or checked the oil. There was metal in the dizzy, I’m guessing from rubbing on the plate screw. What else could make the dizzy wobble when the engine is running?

BC6262C3-F84C-43C0-9EDA-9CA73F0BECE1.jpeg

I’ll measure the cap but it seems to fit properly. I haven’t inspect the thrust plate yet or checked the oil. There was metal in the dizzy, I’m guessing from rubbing on the plate screw. What else could make the dizzy wobble when the engine is running?

View attachment 2969403
Worn bushings in the distributor.
I agree with the metal likely being that screw you indicated earlier. Some of the terminal posts in the cap look like they may be getting worn from the rotor as well, but could just be crud buildup.
The cap size differences are 3-1/8” and 3-1/2”, so only 3/8” difference (3/16” each side which looks about right based on the marks in the pic). This info is not mine, stolen from Coolerman’s wonderful site.

Going down the cap rabbit hole may not be so sound….. just checked 3 distributors I have and all would line up the same to make the marks like you have (just no crud in mine).

So…. What is the crud? That module in your pic: 06AB-V4, is it being eaten away at all like that screw? The crud almost looks like plastic or rubber dust from the pics. It has to be coming from somewhere. Either external getting sucked in (belt dust/road grime), or it’s internal and is getting worn from something. If it were excessive carbon from a contact arcing problem, it should be eating away at the rotor and cap contacts, which doesn’t seem to be the case. It looks like it’s got to be interference from somewhere under the cap and my guess is it’s between the advance plate and cap.

Sorry for all the replies, this one’s got me hooked. Looks like you’ve got a pertronix ignition, or some variant of electronic ignition conversion. There are different ones for the different distributors and maybe the wrong one was installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom