Carbide chainsaw chain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My local stihl dealer was telling me about carbide chains he has for saws. He said he sells them to rescue crews and fire departments for cutting open wrecked cars. Anybody ever use one or know anything about them? They are expensive like $180 per chain, but i would guess they stay sharp alot longer.

I'm sure Dan chime in. I have 20" carbide chain on my 034. I have not tried to cut wood with it.

carbide chains are for nails conduit romex etc found in structures, for cutting wood yes it would stay sharper longer but what do you do when it gets dull? you not gonna sharpen it with a file,

carbide chains are for nails conduit romex etc found in structures, for cutting wood yes it would stay sharper longer but what do you do when it gets dull? you not gonna sharpen it with a file,

Sure you can- it's just a diamond grit file. And slow.

Sure you can- it's just a diamond grit file. And slow.

A few companies make the diamond hand file. Slow is an understatement.

By the time you realize your carbide chain is dull, it is really dull. If you end up using diamond hand file you are just polishing a dull chain.

A few companies make a diamond grit stone for the 12v chain sharpeners.

can you sharpen it with a grinding wheel like a regular chain, or does it require a special grinding rock?

I dont have a need for one but i might someday.

In the STIHL Line Up of Carbide Saw Chain:

63 PD3 (Picco Duro) is a carbide saw chain for the MS 230 size saw (40.cc). I believe suggested retail for a 16" guide bar is $34.95. It depends on what region you live in and what the dealer sets his margin at. You can buy a loop of it to replace any 3/8" extended pitch saws chain. The edge on the cutter lasts 4 times longer than the edge on a PM saw chain and 8 times longer than the Oregon 91 saw chain.

RD (Rapid Duro) is designed for cutting dirty wood. This is generally used after a natural disaster such as floods, volcanic eruptions, etc. The edge on the cutter lasts 20 times longer than the edge on a standard RM/RS saw chain.

RDS (Rapid Duro Super) is discontinued. In a rescue application it works great but will not cut wood very well.

RDR (Rapid Duro Rescue) is the MS 460 Magnum Rescue saw chain preferred by rescue personnel. You can vent a roof, cut through a roll up door and stop and cut a load of firewood on the way home from work.

They all require a diamond wheel to sharpen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom